XCode 9.3 and Project Groups?

Dave

Hi,

When I create a new Group in my project, XCode now seems to also create a folder on the hard disk. I have a folder called:

Images/Game/TypeA-1.png
Images/Game/TypeA-2.png
Images/Game/TypeA-3.png

Images/Game/TypeA-22.png
Images/Game/TypeB-1.png
Images/Game/TypeB-2.png
Images/Game/TypeB-3.png

Images/Game/TypeB-22.png

I create a Group called “Images” in my project, then create 3 Groups Called TypeA, TypeB, TypeC, XCode creates these sub folders and in the finder and if I drag all the “TypeA” files into the Group “TypeA”, it moves the files in the finder hierarchy!

When I do the drag into the project window, XCode present a Dialog, I select:

Destination: Copy Items in needed - Unchecked (the files are in the Project Hierarchy).
Added Folders: Create Groups Selected. I only have one target in which is selected.

Any idea why is this is happening and how to stop it? I just want to be able to move my files about at will inside the project window and NOT affect the file system.

Thanks a lot
All the Best
Dave

Jeremy Hughes

When I create a new Group in my project, XCode now seems to also create a folder on the hard disk...

Any idea why is this is happening and how to stop it?

I think you need to select “New Group Without Folder” instead of “New Group” when you create the group.

The icon looks slightly different (there is a triangle in the bottom left).

Jeremy

Quincey Morris

Also, for any existing groups that Xcode changed to this new behavior, you can break the connection with the file system folder by clicking the “X” button under the Location popup in the Files inspector panel for the group.

On Jun 5, 2018, at 05:58 , Dave <dave@...> wrote:

how to stop it?

Dave

Ahhhh, thanks, surely the Add Files dialog should have a Control for this too?

I can see that this new “feature” is going to cause some major SNAFU’s!

Pity there wasn’t way to reset them all in one hit.

All the Best
Dave