Xcode 13: First brief UI notes


Leo
 

Good:

The problem with Navigator/Inspector panes introduced in Xcode 12 is now fixed. As I'm sure you know, in Xcode 12 the state and position of panes wasn't saved with a particular tab, like in earlier versions, but changed globally instead. In Xcode 13 the normal behavior is restored.

For example, I can have the Navigator pane hidden in my xib tab (as I never need it there), while having Navigator shown in other tabs etc. Yay. Can now work normally like before.  

Also, the project name with icon is now restored in the toolbar. 

Not so good:

I'm not impressed with the new file and framework icons, but it's a minor thing.

The big problem is that they removed color from the folder icons and they are now grayscale.

WHY? Not a single user ever asked to make folder icons less visible and more boring, as well as uglier. In BigSur, Apple finally did something right at and restored colors in sidebar icons almost everywhere. And yet Xcode team now does exactly the opposite. 


Leo


Rick Mann
 

On Jun 23, 2021, at 21:00 , Leo <leo.r@rogers.com> wrote:

Good:

The problem with Navigator/Inspector panes introduced in Xcode 12 is now fixed. As I'm sure you know, in Xcode 12 the state and position of panes wasn't saved with a particular tab, like in earlier versions, but changed globally instead. In Xcode 13 the normal behavior is restored.

For example, I can have the Navigator pane hidden in my xib tab (as I never need it there), while having Navigator shown in other tabs etc. Yay. Can now work normally like before.

Also, the project name with icon is now restored in the toolbar.

Not so good:

I'm not impressed with the new file and framework icons, but it's a minor thing.

The big problem is that they removed color from the folder icons and they are now grayscale.

WHY? Not a single user ever asked to make folder icons less visible and more boring, as well as uglier. In BigSur, Apple finally did something right at and restored colors in sidebar icons almost everywhere. And yet Xcode team now does exactly the opposite.
I filed a bug about this.

But my Bug Sur Finder sidebar has similar icons.

I abhor the flat look, and the astonishingly awful lack of contrast in Bug Sur.


--
Rick Mann
rmann@latencyzero.com


Alex Zavatone
 

Is the nightmare of the git log not showing recent commits from branches you are trying to merge fixed?

On Jun 23, 2021, at 11:00 PM, Leo <leo.r@...> wrote:

Good:

The problem with Navigator/Inspector panes introduced in Xcode 12 is now fixed. As I'm sure you know, in Xcode 12 the state and position of panes wasn't saved with a particular tab, like in earlier versions, but changed globally instead. In Xcode 13 the normal behavior is restored.

For example, I can have the Navigator pane hidden in my xib tab (as I never need it there), while having Navigator shown in other tabs etc. Yay. Can now work normally like before.  

Also, the project name with icon is now restored in the toolbar. 

Not so good:

I'm not impressed with the new file and framework icons, but it's a minor thing.

The big problem is that they removed color from the folder icons and they are now grayscale.

WHY? Not a single user ever asked to make folder icons less visible and more boring, as well as uglier. In BigSur, Apple finally did something right at and restored colors in sidebar icons almost everywhere. And yet Xcode team now does exactly the opposite. 


Leo


Alex Zavatone
 

On Jun 24, 2021, at 1:22 AM, Rick Mann <rmann@latencyzero.com> wrote:



On Jun 23, 2021, at 21:00 , Leo <leo.r@rogers.com> wrote:

Good:

The problem with Navigator/Inspector panes introduced in Xcode 12 is now fixed. As I'm sure you know, in Xcode 12 the state and position of panes wasn't saved with a particular tab, like in earlier versions, but changed globally instead. In Xcode 13 the normal behavior is restored.

For example, I can have the Navigator pane hidden in my xib tab (as I never need it there), while having Navigator shown in other tabs etc. Yay. Can now work normally like before.

Also, the project name with icon is now restored in the toolbar.

Not so good:

I'm not impressed with the new file and framework icons, but it's a minor thing.

The big problem is that they removed color from the folder icons and they are now grayscale.

WHY? Not a single user ever asked to make folder icons less visible and more boring, as well as uglier. In BigSur, Apple finally did something right at and restored colors in sidebar icons almost everywhere. And yet Xcode team now does exactly the opposite.
I filed a bug about this.

But my Bug Sur Finder sidebar has similar icons.

I abhor the flat look, and the astonishingly awful lack of contrast in Bug Sur.
I’m with you 100%.

And email in Big Sur? It’s an exercise in removing useful information. I keep machines around with Sierra and High Sierra on it to use less annoying UI.

Why Apple started using the disabled gray color for the command keys is monumentally stupid. Every time I look at a command key for a menu item in Xcode, my first reaction is “why is this disabled?"


Leo
 

On Wed, Jun 23, 2021 at 11:22 PM, Rick Mann wrote:
I filed a bug about this.
But my Bug Sur Finder sidebar has similar icons.
I abhor the flat look, and the astonishingly awful lack of contrast in Bug Sur.
In the Finder I use XtraFinder which enables the actual folder icons in the sidebar (just like it was before Lion). It helps quickly locate whatever I need as I have custom icons assigned to all projects. Apple destroyed the sidebar in Lion and ignored countless user requests to restore normal icons ever since.

I totally agree regarding the lack of contrast. I started discussion about this on MacRumors back when Big Sur was released:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/big-surs-white-on-white-ui-makes-increase-contrast-option-attractive.2266989/

Evidently, Apple didn't change anything on Monterey.

I also find they in particular botched NSTabView and NSSegmentedView on Big Sur. Segmented view is now a hardly visible bizarre blob. I had to spend several days creating my own custom version to make sure users still can locate and use it efficiently.

And that's before we even get to the redesigned NSAlert...


Leo


Leo
 

On Thu, Jun 24, 2021 at 06:28 AM, Alex Zavatone wrote:
Is the nightmare of the git log not showing recent commits from branches you are trying to merge fixed?
 
I don't use git so I'm not familiar with this particular nightmare, sorry!


Alex Zavatone
 



On Jun 24, 2021, at 1:28 PM, Leo <leo.r@...> wrote:

On Wed, Jun 23, 2021 at 11:22 PM, Rick Mann wrote:
I filed a bug about this.
But my Bug Sur Finder sidebar has similar icons.
I abhor the flat look, and the astonishingly awful lack of contrast in Bug Sur.
In the Finder I use XtraFinder which enables the actual folder icons in the sidebar (just like it was before Lion). It helps quickly locate whatever I need as I have custom icons assigned to all projects. Apple destroyed the sidebar in Lion and ignored countless user requests to restore normal icons ever since.

I totally agree regarding the lack of contrast. I started discussion about this on MacRumors back when Big Sur was released:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/big-surs-white-on-white-ui-makes-increase-contrast-option-attractive.2266989/

Evidently, Apple didn't change anything on Monterey.

I also find they in particular botched NSTabView and NSSegmentedView on Big Sur. Segmented view is now a hardly visible bizarre blob. I had to spend several days creating my own custom version to make sure users still can locate and use it efficiently.

And that's before we even get to the redesigned NSAlert...

I long for the interface from 11 years ago.  Honestly, I would kill to have Snow Leopard’s UI back.  



Steve Mills
 

On Jun 24, 2021, at 14:42, Alex Zavatone via groups.io <zav@...> wrote:



On Jun 24, 2021, at 1:28 PM, Leo <leo.r@...> wrote:

On Wed, Jun 23, 2021 at 11:22 PM, Rick Mann wrote:
I filed a bug about this.
But my Bug Sur Finder sidebar has similar icons.
I abhor the flat look, and the astonishingly awful lack of contrast in Bug Sur.
In the Finder I use XtraFinder which enables the actual folder icons in the sidebar (just like it was before Lion). It helps quickly locate whatever I need as I have custom icons assigned to all projects. Apple destroyed the sidebar in Lion and ignored countless user requests to restore normal icons ever since.

I totally agree regarding the lack of contrast. I started discussion about this on MacRumors back when Big Sur was released:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/big-surs-white-on-white-ui-makes-increase-contrast-option-attractive.2266989/

Evidently, Apple didn't change anything on Monterey.

I also find they in particular botched NSTabView and NSSegmentedView on Big Sur. Segmented view is now a hardly visible bizarre blob. I had to spend several days creating my own custom version to make sure users still can locate and use it efficiently.

And that's before we even get to the redesigned NSAlert...

I long for the interface from 11 years ago.  Honestly, I would kill to have Snow Leopard’s UI back.

The new off-center window titlebar and the name/path pop-up that goes with it must’ve been designed by a 3-year-old who never used it except when he smashed the mouse with his Tonia truck. As it is, it’s horrible to look at and even worse to use (mainly because it fails to work on the first click roughly 75% of the time). Reported that bug in the first 11.0 release and it’s still horribly broken.

Steve via iPad


Carl Hoefs
 

Sweet!

On Jun 24, 2021, at 12:42 PM, Alex Zavatone via groups.io <zav@...> wrote:

I long for the interface from 11 years ago.  Honestly, I would kill to have Snow Leopard’s UI back.  



Rick Mann
 

On Jun 24, 2021, at 06:32 , Alex Zavatone via groups.io <zav=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

Why Apple started using the disabled gray color for the command keys is monumentally stupid. Every time I look at a command key for a menu item in Xcode, my first reaction is “why is this disabled?"
💯

--
Rick Mann
rmann@latencyzero.com