Xcode 12.5 crash

Carl Hoefs

Xcode 12.5, macOS 11.4

If I insert a copyright character (©) from the "Emoji & Symbols" character viewer palette into a NSTextField on the storyboard, Xcode crashes reliably with:

UNCAUGHT EXCEPTION (NSRangeException): *** -[NSBigMutableString _getBlockStart:end:contentsEnd:forRange:stopAtLineSeparators:]: Range {0, 14} out of bounds; string length 13

Note: It crashes when I insert the character into the Attributes Inspector field (see attached).

Can anyone else verify, or is my Xcode installation hosed?
-Carl

Ben Kennedy

On 23 Jun 2021, at 3:04 pm, Carl Hoefs <newslists@autonomy.caltech.edu> wrote:

Note: It crashes when I insert the character into the Attributes Inspector field (see attached).

Can anyone else verify, or is my Xcode installation hosed?
Works for me™ (presuming I'm executing the same steps you are).

FWIW, for the copyright symbol it's probably a whole lot easier to just type option-G.

I don’t see any linked image.

Can you send it to me offlist?

And +1 on option G, option 2, option R.

Alex Zavatone

On Jun 23, 2021, at 6:00 PM, Ben Kennedy <ben-groups@zygoat.ca> wrote:

On 23 Jun 2021, at 3:04 pm, Carl Hoefs <newslists@autonomy.caltech.edu> wrote:

Note: It crashes when I insert the character into the Attributes Inspector field (see attached).

Can anyone else verify, or is my Xcode installation hosed?
Works for me™ (presuming I'm executing the same steps you are).

FWIW, for the copyright symbol it's probably a whole lot easier to just type option-G.

Ohh, I see it now.

It’s an error with NSRange.  It’s expecting a multibyte character and it’s not getting one so the range is -1 what it’s expecting.

Use Ben’s suggestion.  Nice bug though.

Alex Zavatone

On Jun 23, 2021, at 5:04 PM, Carl Hoefs <newslists@...> wrote:

Xcode 12.5, macOS 11.4

If I insert a copyright character (©) from the "Emoji & Symbols" character viewer palette into a NSTextField on the storyboard, Xcode crashes reliably with:

UNCAUGHT EXCEPTION (NSRangeException): *** -[NSBigMutableString _getBlockStart:end:contentsEnd:forRange:stopAtLineSeparators:]: Range {0, 14} out of bounds; string length 13

Note: It crashes when I insert the character into the Attributes Inspector field (see attached).

Can anyone else verify, or is my Xcode installation hosed?
-Carl

<Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 2.58.28 PM.png>