Topics

Xcode 12.4 crashes when trying to Distribute App or Validate App


Steve Mills
 

A new build (tried twice, with different build numbers even) is consistently crashing Xcode when it gets to a step after the "Automatically/Manually manage signing" step. It shows "Communicating with Apple", then "Packaging <app name>" and quickly crashes.

Anybody else?

I tried using the developer's forums, but it's currently being totally buggy or unresponsive.

--
Steve Mills
Drummer, Mac geek


Alex Zavatone
 

I’ve seen several reports of people having random crashes in 12.4 in many areas.

In the olden days, you would do the provisioning profile creation and assign them to each build manually in the Code Signing settings. Create your distro cert and then create a release provisioning profile that is backed by that cert and your Apple developer private key.

Once you make that provisioning profile, open it and it will appear as an option in Xcode to use to sign the Release build of your app. Make sure to assign it in your target’s Code Signing settings. Once you build and archive your app, you should be able to select that distro profile to your archive. Not sure if that’s how you do it for MacOS, but that’s how we did for iOS.

Now, here’s a tip. NAME YOUR PROVISIONING PROFILES WHAT THEY ARE. Add the expiration date of the cert backing each profile in the name of the profile. This makes it painfully obvious to you which profile is which. Once you know how to manage this process, WHEN Xcode poos the scrooch as it is in this case, you can do it manually and all is well.

More on the tip. I create 2 distro certs that are a month apart because they back the provisioning profiles - which will expire every year - and it’s great to make sure that you have a 1 month overlap when one of the distro certs expires for your provisioning profiles.

Try it out. Create dev and distro certs and provisioning profiles.

I use this naming standard for each build or distribution option
Dev - myAwesomeApp - expiration_date_of_cert.mobileprovision
AdHoc - myAwesomeApp - expiration_date_of_cert.mobileprovision
Dist - myAwesomeApp - expiration_date_of_cert.mobileprovision


Examples
Dist -TriggeringApp - exp_Mar_22_2017.mobileprovision
AdHoc -TriggeringApp - exp_Mar_22_2017.mobileprovision
Dev - TriggeringApp - exp_Apr_03_2018.mobileprovision

Lots of this is detailed in chapter 4 of the book you just ordered.

Does that help?

Alex Zavatone

On Feb 10, 2021, at 1:58 PM, Steve Mills via groups.io <sjmills=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

A new build (tried twice, with different build numbers even) is consistently crashing Xcode when it gets to a step after the "Automatically/Manually manage signing" step. It shows "Communicating with Apple", then "Packaging <app name>" and quickly crashes.

Anybody else?

I tried using the developer's forums, but it's currently being totally buggy or unresponsive.

--
Steve Mills
Drummer, Mac geek






Steve Mills
 

On Feb 10, 2021, at 14:25:58, Alex Zavatone via groups.io <zav=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

Lots of this is detailed in chapter 4 of the book you just ordered.
You're confusing my post with someone else's.

Does that help?
I'm not going to go through all that crap just to work around Apple's bug. I'll let them figure it out and fix it.

--
Steve Mills
Drummer, Mac geek


Alex Zavatone
 

On Feb 10, 2021, at 3:20 PM, Steve Mills via groups.io <sjmills=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

On Feb 10, 2021, at 14:25:58, Alex Zavatone via groups.io <zav=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

Lots of this is detailed in chapter 4 of the book you just ordered.
You're confusing my post with someone else’s
DOH! I posted about code signing a little earlier. If you’re interested, the relevant material is chapter 4 of Essential Build and Release by Ron Roche. Totally worth the purchase for that chapter alone.


.
Does that help?
I'm not going to go through all that crap just to work around Apple's bug. I'll let them figure it out and fix it.
Yeah, that’s what we used to do. It’s good to know the process for moments just like this.