Xcode 12.4 and GIt.

Alex Zavatone

We just noticed that in Xcode 12.4 that once we do a fresh pull from GitHub, that when we view the git log in Xcode it frequently shows much less than the log in GitHub.

Has anyone else seen this? Is there some setting that we’re missing?

Thanks in advance.
Alex Zavatone

Ben Kennedy

On 11 Jun 2021, at 8:14 am, Alex Zavatone via groups.io <zav=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

We just noticed that in Xcode 12.4 that once we do a fresh pull from GitHub, that when we view the git log in Xcode it frequently shows much less than the log in GitHub.
I don't use Xcode's built-in SCM so I'm not the best person to be responding, but I'm curious.

Can you be more specific about what's absent? Are commits missing?

IIRC it used to be the case that Xcode couldn't properly follow the history of files that were moved or renamed (`git log --follow`), though I'm not sure whether that's been fixed.

-ben

Alex Zavatone

On Jun 11, 2021, at 12:35 PM, Ben Kennedy <ben-groups@zygoat.ca> wrote:

On 11 Jun 2021, at 8:14 am, Alex Zavatone via groups.io <zav=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

I don't use Xcode's built-in SCM so I'm not the best person to be responding, but I'm curious.

Can you be more specific about what's absent? Are commits missing?
In the log, yeah. Commits are missing when we selected ALL when compared to the commit log in GitHub.

Just now, we did a merge from our main branch. I pulled that main branch and merged into my branch. Loads of oddness and errors started happening.

So, I took the main branch and verified that a build (iOS) would run. It did.

Then I just made a new branch from main. The build scheme that I had just run was gone. Gone. Earlier, after making a new branch, one build scheme for our app turned into a suitcase.

I haven’t lost much, but other team members have been talking about “Xcode git hell” in 12.4 and 12.5.

The hell I’ve seen is that we push and pull and merge and files disappear or the log is off.

I’ll test it again but it’s spooky.

IIRC it used to be the case that Xcode couldn't properly follow the history of files that were moved or renamed (`git log --follow`), though I'm not sure whether that's been fixed.

-ben

Gary L. Wade

Whenever you have Xcode git issues, compare what you see with what you get from the command line using raw git. Also, Xcode 13 beta is out (also 12.5); you might try the SCM part of it with your repository even if you don’t adopt any new features.
--
Gary L. Wade
http://www.garywade.com/