Xcode 11 unusable?

Leo

Is it just my luck - or is Xcode 11 unusable?

I just finally updated to Catalina and installed Xcode 11 (all latest versions of course).

Xcode 11 is totally non-responsive.

In Interface Builder, when I click elements they're not selected right away but after a brief delay. And then it takes several seconds until the info in the inspector updates.

Same thing in the code: everything happens after a brief delay. Code completion doesn't work at all.

Restarted Mac, quit Xcode several times - same thing in all project.

Xcode 10 works with no issues.

iMac 2017 27", 40 GB RAM

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Leo

Peter Hudson

Hi Leo

I had the same problem regarding code completion - the solution was to ditch the derived data for the project and to clean the build. ( someone on this list suggested I try this )

Regarding Interface Builder: from 11 onwards it’s run like treacle. I’ve never been able to find out why.
My project code line was started 20 years ago and uses  .nib files. Some are very deep and complex - maybe this affects things. Simpler ones are just a bit tardy.

Peter

On 8 May 2020, at 06:16, Leo <leo.r@...> wrote:

Is it just my luck - or is Xcode 11 unusable?

I just finally updated to Catalina and installed Xcode 11 (all latest versions of course).

Xcode 11 is totally non-responsive.

In Interface Builder, when I click elements they're not selected right away but after a brief delay. And then it takes several seconds until the info in the inspector updates.

Same thing in the code: everything happens after a brief delay. Code completion doesn't work at all.

Restarted Mac, quit Xcode several times - same thing in all project.

Xcode 10 works with no issues.

iMac 2017 27", 40 GB RAM

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Leo

Sak Wathanasin

On 8 May 2020, at 06:16, Leo <leo.r@...> wrote:

I just finally updated to Catalina and installed Xcode 11 (all latest versions of course).

Xcode 11 is totally non-responsive.

Just Xcode? I had similar issues after "upgrading" to Catalina - everything was laggy. What I later found out was that I had SIRI disabled (in Mojave before the u/g), and Catalina seems to need SIRI enabled to init or update something. After I enabled it, restarted, Catalina started behaving, and then I could turn it off. May be totally unrelated to your issue though.

The only similar behaviour to yours that I saw was delays when a breakpoint tripped - seemed to be much longer before you got the backtrace etc & the UI was responsive again. Nuking "DerivedData" seemed to help.

Regards
Sak

Leo

Thanks Peter,

Deleted derived data didn't help... Plus I discovered yet more issues in IB. Xcode 11 cannot be used at all.

I'll keep looking for solution...

Leo

Peter Hudson

I’d be inclined to remove the install of xcode and re install.

Peter

On 10 May 2020, at 07:45, Leo <leo.r@...> wrote:

Thanks Peter,

Deleted derived data didn't help... Plus I discovered yet more issues in IB. Xcode 11 cannot be used at all.

I'll keep looking for solution...

Leo

Leo

Thanks Sak,

Neither Siri no derived data helped so far. Other apps seem to work normally - including Xcode 10.

I'll update if find any solution.

Leo

Leo

Reinstalling didn't help...

It's like the app works normally - until I open a .xib file. Then everything gradually goes to hell.

Even during few initial successful operations in IB it's clear that something isn't right. The cursor makes some strange flickering when moved over objects.

Then scrollers stop working normally, clicks get performed after delay, tabs are unresponsive etc. Then the clicks I performed earlier with no effect, start executing one after another. It's like I'm testing an early alpha of a new release.

Leo

Sak Wathanasin

On 10 May 2020, at 08:54, Leo <leo.r@...> wrote:

Then scrollers stop working normally, clicks get performed after delay, tabs are unresponsive etc. Then the clicks I performed earlier with no effect, start executing one after another. It's like I'm testing an early alpha of a new release.

When it is in this state, are other apps affected or is the issue only with Xcode? Something in the main thread getting wedged from the sound of it. Misbehaving Xcode extension?

Sak

Leo

Only Xcode 11 is affected. Everything else including Xcode 10 works normally.

I don't have any Xcode extensions.

I also tried:

-Creating a new clean user and run Xcode 11 there
-Restarting in safe mode.

Absolutely the same things happen.

Leo

Alex Zavatone

It’s been reported on Reddit that this is a problem in projects that have mixed Objective-C and Swift code in Xcode 11.

On Sun, May 10, 2020 at 10:42 AM, Alex Zavatone wrote:
It’s been reported on Reddit that this is a problem in projects that have mixed Objective-C and Swift code in Xcode 11.

No Swift in my projects, Objective-C only

Alex Zavatone

If you’re allowed to share any of the stuff that crashes with me, I’ve got a few versions of the OS and Xcode 11 installed on a few of my Macs and can see if I can open them.

Feel free to email me off list if you want.

Cheers.  Gotta love Xcode. : /

On May 10, 2020, at 12:50 PM, Leo <leo.r@...> wrote:

On Sun, May 10, 2020 at 10:42 AM, Alex Zavatone wrote:
It’s been reported on Reddit that this is a problem in projects that have mixed Objective-C and Swift code in Xcode 11.

No Swift in my projects, Objective-C only

I assume this happens in any Xcode project and not just your own?

Open Console.app and check various logs to see if anything Xcode-related is being dumped.
Sample Xcode (using Activity Monitor or the 'sample' tool) and see if it's spending a ton of time in something suspicious-looking.
Definitely submit a bug report to Apple. The Feedback app will collect a profile.

—Jens

Leo

Thanks Jens,

At this point I could only reproduce it with my own projects (exact same issues on my both iMac and MBP).

But I also noticed that issues seem to be triggered by an attempt to manipulate a particularly complex element in Interface Builder such as a complex large window with many UI elements. Relatively simple and small UI elements don't seem to trigger the problem.

I downloaded some Xcode projects from the Internet to test, and while I didn't have any issues they also didn't have complex UI elements comparable to my projects.

I couldn't find anything obviously suspicious in lengthy logs produced by Console and Activity Monitor > Sample.

And yes, I submitted bug to Apple. Will update if I ever hear from them.

Leo

Glenn L. Austin

Leo,

You might try breaking your complex user interface up into smaller parts, and embed each of those smaller parts into the top-level window.

--
Glenn L. Austin, Computer Wizard and Race Car Driver         <><
<http://www.austinsoft.com>

On Sun, May 10, 2020 at 11:21 AM, Alex Zavatone wrote:
If you’re allowed to share any of the stuff that crashes with me, I’ve got a few versions of the OS and Xcode 11 installed on a few of my Macs and can see if I can open them.
Thanks Alex,

By now I also know that exactly the same issue happens on my 2013 MacBook Pro with Catalina.

To me it means that there's a severe bug in Xcode 11 that affects only certain projects for some reason on any machine.

I appreciate the offer to check my stuff! Indeed I can't share my projects as they're all commercial software - but by this time it's pretty clear that you'd experience the same issues.

It's not a problem to open the projects - it's just once you touch a .xib file with a complex window, Xcode 11 starts disintegrating into rotten mess.

I'll stick with Xcode 10 for now - and hope to hear something useful from Apple in reply to my bug report.

Leo

Leo

On Sun, May 10, 2020 at 07:56 PM, Glenn L. Austin wrote:
You might try breaking your complex user interface up into smaller parts, and embed each of those smaller parts into the top-level window.
Thanks for the suggestion, Glenn!

I'm confident though that there's nothing wrong with my interfaces. They are perfectly legitimate xib files that worked with every Xcode version for years - back to versions 3-5.

I hope to hear from back from Apple regarding my bug report... They're often fairly responsive when it comes to developer tools bugs.

Leo

Sak Wathanasin

On 11 May 2020, at 03:47, Leo <leo.r@...> wrote:

But I also noticed that issues seem to be triggered by an attempt to manipulate a particularly complex element in Interface Builder such as a complex large window with many UI elements. Relatively simple and small UI elements don't seem to trigger the problem.

So it's some particular XIB files that trigger the issue? Share one if you can & we'll see if we can reproduce it. My guess is that it's some issue in the constraint system.

Sak

2551phil

FWIW, I have seen exact same problem here in IB of Xcode 11 if I have one of my older projects open. That was built using storyboards.

Best

Phil

On 11 May 2020, at 15:10, Sak Wathanasin <sw@...> wrote:

On 11 May 2020, at 03:47, Leo <leo.r@...> wrote:

But I also noticed that issues seem to be triggered by an attempt to manipulate a particularly complex element in Interface Builder such as a complex large window with many UI elements. Relatively simple and small UI elements don't seem to trigger the problem.

So it's some particular XIB files that trigger the issue? Share one if you can & we'll see if we can reproduce it. My guess is that it's some issue in the constraint system.

Sak

Leo

Ok it looks like I could isolate this issue to a very specific case: a window with NSTabView.

Here's what I discovered:

-If a project doesn't have a window with a tab view, the problem doesn't happen.

-If any of my projects have a window with tab view, the problem is always triggered once I touch this window or any of its elements in IB.

-If I delete the tab view, the problem goes away. Bring back the tab view - problem comes back. It can be any tab view - even a new tab view from the Library.

-No other UI element affects the issue. Only tab view.

-This only happens originally with my projects (which all originated back in Xcode 2-4). I tried some other devs projects with window+tab view and there was no problem.

-But I can reproduce the issue with projects that I didn't create - and even with brand new projects in Xcode 11 - if I copy a tab view from my project to a window in the new project.

-It's sufficient to have just a single window with a tab view and nothing else - so it's not the complicity of the xib that causes the issue.

As you can see I'm having fun here. Very productive.

I'll soon share a brand new Xcode project with a xib that triggers the issue (here at least).

Thanks,
Leo