Topics

XCode 11 Serious Problems with Project Navigator

Dave

Hi,

I’m having serious problems with the XCode 11 Project Navigator pane. Files are not showing up when they are in the project, when I open the file it suddenly appears! I’ve now found another bug, if I try to select one of the files that suddenly appeared in the Project pane when opened, as soon as I click on the file name, the file de-selects and it re-displays the file List starting at the top!

Is anyone else seeing this?

I’m wondering if XCode 11 ready for general use? I’m worried that XCode 11 will suddenly corrupt my project file or source code base.

Are many people using it?

Maybe I should go back to XCode 10 if that is possible?.

All the Best
Dave

Steve Mills

On Jan 9, 2020, at 12:37, Dave <dave@...> wrote:

I’m having serious problems with the XCode 11 Project Navigator pane.
With all the Xcode problems you’ve been talking about, I’m guessing you have a corrupt installation or something like that. 11 has been pretty solid for everyone I know using it. Throw it out and re-download.

Steve via iPad

Dave

Hi,

I’ve just noticed that when I click on the file in question, it pops open Every Folder in the Project Pane!!

It’s now more or less unusable does anyone have any idea of what could be wrong and how to fix it?

I’m totally stuck as can’t even look at the files in the project correctly.

All the Best
Dave

On 9 Jan 2020, at 19:37, Dave <dave@...> wrote:

Hi,

I’m having serious problems with the XCode 11 Project Navigator pane. Files are not showing up when they are in the project, when I open the file it suddenly appears! I’ve now found another bug, if I try to select one of the files that suddenly appeared in the Project pane when opened, as soon as I click on the file name, the file de-selects and it re-displays the file List starting at the top!

Is anyone else seeing this?

I’m wondering if XCode 11 ready for general use? I’m worried that XCode 11 will suddenly corrupt my project file or source code base.

Are many people using it?

Maybe I should go back to XCode 10 if that is possible?.

All the Best
Dave

Alex Zavatone

Which Xcode 11? I am using 11.3 and found that the best so far.

On Jan 9, 2020, at 12:37 PM, Dave <dave@...> wrote:

Hi,

I’m having serious problems with the XCode 11 Project Navigator pane. Files are not showing up when they are in the project, when I open the file it suddenly appears! I’ve now found another bug, if I try to select one of the files that suddenly appeared in the Project pane when opened, as soon as I click on the file name, the file de-selects and it re-displays the file List starting at the top!

Is anyone else seeing this?

I’m wondering if XCode 11 ready for general use? I’m worried that XCode 11 will suddenly corrupt my project file or source code base.

Are many people using it?

Maybe I should go back to XCode 10 if that is possible?.

All the Best
Dave

Glenn L. Austin

I suspect that your project file is subtly corrupted.

I have no problems with Xcode 11.3 that aren't of my own fault (changing an open Xcode project when I change SCC branches multiple times).

--
Glenn L. Austin, Computer Wizard and Race Car Driver         <><
<http://www.austinsoft.com>

On Jan 9, 2020, at 10:44 AM, Dave <dave@...> wrote:

It’s now more or less unusable does anyone have any idea of what could be wrong and how to fix it?
Assuming this only happens in that one project, I’m guessing the .xcodeproj project file is somehow corrupt, in a way that Xcode doesn’t recognize and fix. Best send it to Apple in a bug report.

As to how to fix it, a couple of ideas:

Try checking out old versions of the project file till you find one that still works, then redo your changes in that one.

Or remove all the source files from the project and re-add them.

Or create a new project and set it up (I know, a lot of work!)

I know there are tools that _generate_ Xcode projects from a human-readable description like a YAML file; if one of these can also disassemble an existing project into such a file, you could try running your project through that to create a new one.

—Jens