Xcode 11 broke my build when targeting an iPad


Steve Mills
 

What's this build error even mean?

Unable to find a profile type for platform iOS and purpose development. You may need to reinstall Xcode.

If I set the scheme to use the Simulator, it builds fine. If I set it to my iPad running fresh iOS 13.1, it gives that error and fails. Nothing has changed with my account/team/any of that signing crap.

--
Steve Mills
Drummer, Mac geek


Fritz Anderson
 

In the spirit of is-it-plugged-in, are you running Xcode 11.0, or 11.1 (now seeded as Golden Master — that was quick)?

— F

On 29 Sep 2019, at 11:19 PM, Steve Mills via Groups.Io <sjmills=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

What's this build error even mean?

Unable to find a profile type for platform iOS and purpose development. You may need to reinstall Xcode.

If I set the scheme to use the Simulator, it builds fine. If I set it to my iPad running fresh iOS 13.1, it gives that error and fails. Nothing has changed with my account/team/any of that signing crap.


Steve Mills
 

On Sep 30, 2019, at 13:49:48, Fritz Anderson <anderson.fritz@gmail.com> wrote:

In the spirit of is-it-plugged-in, are you running Xcode 11.0, or 11.1 (now seeded as Golden Master — that was quick)?
11.0. Is this just yet another bug they let loose on the world without proper testing, and 11.1 is planned to fix it?

--
Steve Mills
Drummer, Mac geek


Fritz Anderson
 

Not being an Apple employee (or being bound by a saber-toothed NDA If I were), I can't say what Developer Tools intends for the 11.1 release.

(Usual comment that the prevalence of possibly-dozens of reports out of a million makes it reasonable for DT to budget its time for other things. I don't say it doesn't hurt your work, just pointing out how it sucks to live in a finite universe. I'm sure you've nudged the prevalence-and-severity needle by breaking out the Feedback Assistant and reporting the issue. It's a huge improvement over the Radar site. (I wish it were available without a Spotlight search.))

— F

On Sep 30, 2019, at 10:18 PM, Steve Mills via Groups.Io <sjmills=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

On Sep 30, 2019, at 13:49:48, Fritz Anderson <anderson.fritz@gmail.com> wrote:

In the spirit of is-it-plugged-in, are you running Xcode 11.0, or 11.1 (now seeded as Golden Master — that was quick)?
11.0. Is this just yet another bug they let loose on the world without proper testing, and 11.1 is planned to fix it?

--
Steve Mills
Drummer, Mac geek




Steve Mills
 

On Oct 1, 2019, at 08:57, Fritz Anderson <anderson.fritz@gmail.com> wrote:

(Usual comment that the prevalence of possibly-dozens of reports out of a million makes it reasonable for DT to budget its time for other things. I don't say it doesn't hurt your work, just pointing out how it sucks to live in a finite universe. I'm sure you've nudged the prevalence-and-severity needle by breaking out the Feedback Assistant and reporting the issue. It's a huge improvement over the Radar site. (I wish it were available without a Spotlight search.))
Yes, bug reported. And yes, they should’ve kept the same name and domain name. After decades of automatically typing “bugr” into the Safari field and having autocomplete know what I meant, it was impossible to remember the dumb new name. I ended up adding a bookmark for it named “bugreport” so at least it still works and I don’t have to learn a new name for it.

Steve via iPhone


Alex Zavatone
 

On Sep 30, 2019, at 10:18 PM, Steve Mills via Groups.Io <sjmills=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

On Sep 30, 2019, at 13:49:48, Fritz Anderson <anderson.fritz@gmail.com> wrote:

In the spirit of is-it-plugged-in, are you running Xcode 11.0, or 11.1 (now seeded as Golden Master — that was quick)?
11.0. Is this just yet another bug they let loose on the world without proper testing, and 11.1 is planned to fix it?

--
Steve Mills
Drummer, Mac geek




Steve Mills
 

On Oct 1, 2019, at 23:50:33, Alex Zavatone via Groups.Io <zav=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

FYI,

https://old.reddit.com/r/swift/comments/dc4zx8/xcode_11_optimization_causing_random_crashes/
OK, but I'm not sure how that's relevant to the subject, other than an Xcode *.0 release being (typically) buggy as hell.

--
Steve Mills
Drummer, Mac geek


Steve Mills
 

Same totally useless error message happens when I build with 11.1 for an iOS device instead of Simulator:

Unable to find a profile type for platform iOS and purpose development. You may need to reinstall Xcode.

This is farking great. Just great.

--
Steve Mills
Drummer, Mac geek