Topics

Weird Keyboard Problem

Dave

Hi,

This is weird and I’m wondering if it could have anything to do with XCode 11? It seems a bit far fetched, but I’m wondering if anyone else has had this or related problems.

I am using a USB keyboard and while using XCode I found that the “{“ key longer works. At first I thought it was a dodgy keyboard but now I’m not so sure. On this keyboard the “{“ is obtained by pressing "Shift+[“ (British keyboard), however unshifted “[“ works fine, so does any other combination of Shifted and Unshifted keys work as expected plus “{“ works ok *if* you use the shift key on the right hand rather than the left hand side shift key.

Also if I press “Shift+[“ (“{“) when key input is not allowed it beeps. I tried this in TextEdit with the same findings. I’m using a Mac Book, and “‘{“ works ok on the inbuilt keyboard.

I’m not sure if it could be XCode unless it somehow changed some key mappings, and, AFAIK it worked fine before using XCode 11.

It could be a hardware problem but the fact that it beeps shows the key is “seen” key the software and every other key combo works ok.

Any ideas? Clutching at straws really I know, but I’ve really haven’t seen a problem this weird for a long while!

All the Best
Dave

I had some similar weird problems a few years ago, and determined that it was a hardware failure: I tried other USB keyboards on the same Mac and none had the issue. FWIW, this was a Microsoft Natural Keyboard 4000(?). Great keyboard till it died.

If you do want to diagnose it further, you can use Karabiner (a super-deep keystroke customizer) which has a helper app that logs the details of every keyboard event (at the USB level, I think.)

—Jens

On Jan 1, 2020, at 4:30 AM, Dave <dave@...> wrote:

[...]

Jack Brindle

This has the feel of a hot-key being installed with the combination you need to create the ‘{‘ key. When creating hot-keys you can specify the modifier key, allowing the left shift key to be used differently from the right one. Have you recently installed an application (in addition to Xcode 11) that might have set a global hot key?

Jack