Topics

Problem with IB in Xcode 12.4

Sak Wathanasin

In XC 12.4, control-dragging from a widget in an XIB to a .m file to create an action or to a .h to create an outlet no lnger seems to work. It pops up some error. Works in 12.3 though. Did I imagine it or has someone already posted about it here? If not, I'll raise a bug report.

Also, control-command-up -arrow (or down-arrow) to switch between .m & .h files no longer works (even in 12.3). Instead it tries to open a matching unit test file. I guess this may be for the convenience of Swifties, but some of us still have to work with ObjC files. Since this key-combo doesn't appear in the key-shortcuts ("Open Counterpart" having been removed from the File menu ages ago), any ideas as to how I can get the old behaviour back? My fingers are conditioned to use this key-combo.

Thanks
Sak

Alex Zavatone

On Feb 23, 2021, at 4:38 PM, Sak Wathanasin <sw@network-analysis.ltd.uk> wrote:

In XC 12.4, control-dragging from a widget in an XIB to a .m file to create an action or to a .h to create an outlet no lnger seems to work. It pops up some error. Works in 12.3 though. Did I imagine it or has someone already posted about it here? If not, I'll raise a bug report.

Also, control-command-up -arrow (or down-arrow) to switch between .m & .h files no longer works (even in 12.3). Instead it tries to open a matching unit test file. I guess this may be for the convenience of Swifties, but some of us still have to work with ObjC files. Since this key-combo doesn't appear in the key-shortcuts ("Open Counterpart" having been removed from the File menu ages ago), any ideas as to how I can get the old behaviour back? My fingers are conditioned to use this key-combo.

Thanks
Sak
Does command control up or down work after a successful build? I’ve seen it being really flakey recently but haven’t bothered to try and narrow it down as to what causes it.

davelist@...

On Feb 23, 2021, at 5:38 PM, Sak Wathanasin <sw@network-analysis.ltd.uk> wrote:

In XC 12.4, control-dragging from a widget in an XIB to a .m file to create an action or to a .h to create an outlet no lnger seems to work. It pops up some error. Works in 12.3 though. Did I imagine it or has someone already posted about it here? If not, I'll raise a bug report.

Also, control-command-up -arrow (or down-arrow) to switch between .m & .h files no longer works (even in 12.3). Instead it tries to open a matching unit test file. I guess this may be for the convenience of Swifties, but some of us still have to work with ObjC files. Since this key-combo doesn't appear in the key-shortcuts ("Open Counterpart" having been removed from the File menu ages ago), any ideas as to how I can get the old behaviour back? My fingers are conditioned to use this key-combo.

Thanks
Sak
I didn't check the first one, but for the second one, that still works for me with Objective-C. It's in the Navigate menu (not the File menu) - Jump to Previous Counterpart and Jump to Next Counterpart for control-command down and up arrow. Now the file I tested it with are just .h and .m (no matching unit test file with same prefix as file), but I'd try the menu options first to see what they do.

Dave

Jack Brindle

On the top left side of the middle section of the Xcode window there is an icon that consists of four squares. Click on it and you will find the counterparts item you seek, along with quite a few other things (like “Recent Files”, “Changed Files” and some more actually useful items.

I think Apple moves things around just to do it.

Jack

On 24 Feb 2021, at 01:13, Jack Brindle via groups.io <jackbrindle@...> wrote:

On the top left side of the middle section of the Xcode window there is an icon that consists of four squares. Click on it and you will find the counterparts item you seek, along with quite a few other things (like “Recent Files”, “Changed Files” and some more actually useful items.

Thanks for that & to Dave for pointing out that the commands are still there under "Navigation". I'm having to use the "4-squares" (what do you call it?)  menu, but my fingers are conditioned to hit that key-combo and it's disconcerting to say the least when an unexpected file appears.

Update: A little more experimentation shows that if I have foo.m, foo.h and footest.m, that key combo cycles between them. So I guess it's a "feature".

And the control-drag in IB now works for me, so I must have been having an off day.

Sorry for the waste of bandwaidth!

Sak