plist sanity checker utility?

Carl Hoefs

I'm working with a huge (1.4MB) plist file, and I suspect there may be an error with respect to syntax or formatting somewhere therein.

Isn't there an Xcode-related command line tool plist file sanity checker utility? I seem to recall the existence of such a beast...

Thx,

I’ve used this.

PlistEdit Pro.app

In any case, the other alternative is duplicate the file, open the copy and start removing pieces until it works and then start stuffing parts back in.

On Apr 2, 2020, at 2:37 PM, Carl Hoefs <newslists@autonomy.caltech.edu> wrote:

I'm working with a huge (1.4MB) plist file, and I suspect there may be an error with respect to syntax or formatting somewhere therein.

Isn't there an Xcode-related command line tool plist file sanity checker utility? I seem to recall the existence of such a beast...

Thx,
-Carl

Jack Brindle

Duck Duck Go is your friend…

plutil is already on your system as a command line utility.
plutil <file.plist>
should give rather interesting results. Check out the man page.

The old plistchecker app is still around, although old at this point.
There are other utilities that should be helpful as well.

Jack

On Apr 2, 2020, at 12:37 PM, Carl Hoefs <newslists@autonomy.caltech.edu> wrote:

I'm working with a huge (1.4MB) plist file, and I suspect there may be an error with respect to syntax or formatting somewhere therein.

Isn't there an Xcode-related command line tool plist file sanity checker utility? I seem to recall the existence of such a beast...

Thx,

Since it’s XML, could we use an XML validator?

On Apr 2, 2020, at 3:29 PM, Jack Brindle via groups.io <jackbrindle=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

Duck Duck Go is your friend…

plutil is already on your system as a command line utility.
plutil <file.plist>
should give rather interesting results. Check out the man page.

The old plistchecker app is still around, although old at this point.
There are other utilities that should be helpful as well.

Jack

On Apr 2, 2020, at 12:37 PM, Carl Hoefs <newslists@autonomy.caltech.edu> wrote:

I'm working with a huge (1.4MB) plist file, and I suspect there may be an error with respect to syntax or formatting somewhere therein.

Isn't there an Xcode-related command line tool plist file sanity checker utility? I seem to recall the existence of such a beast...

Thx,
-Carl

Carl Hoefs

Yes! plutil was the utility I as thinking of.

Thanks Jack, Alex!

-Carl

On Apr 2, 2020, at 1:29 PM, Jack Brindle via groups.io <jackbrindle=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

Duck Duck Go is your friend…

plutil is already on your system as a command line utility.
plutil <file.plist>
should give rather interesting results. Check out the man page.

The old plistchecker app is still around, although old at this point.
There are other utilities that should be helpful as well.

Jack

On Apr 2, 2020, at 12:37 PM, Carl Hoefs <newslists@autonomy.caltech.edu> wrote:

I'm working with a huge (1.4MB) plist file, and I suspect there may be an error with respect to syntax or formatting somewhere therein.

Isn't there an Xcode-related command line tool plist file sanity checker utility? I seem to recall the existence of such a beast...

Thx,
-Carl

Andy Lee

On Apr 2, 2020, at 3:37 PM, Carl Hoefs <newslists@autonomy.caltech.edu> wrote:
Isn't there an Xcode-related command line tool plist file sanity checker utility? I seem to recall the existence of such a beast...
You may be thinking of /usr/bin/plutil. I see it has a -lint option that will "check the property list files for syntax errors".

--Andy

Chris Hanson

On Apr 2, 2020, at 12:37 PM, Carl Hoefs <newslists@autonomy.caltech.edu> wrote:

I'm working with a huge (1.4MB) plist file, and I suspect there may be an error with respect to syntax or formatting somewhere therein.

Isn't there an Xcode-related command line tool plist file sanity checker utility? I seem to recall the existence of such a beast...
`plutil -lint` will do it, and comes with the OS.

-- Chris