New Stupid Xcode question.

Alex Zavatone

For the first time in my life, I have just seen text within the title of an Xcode editor tab that is italic in Xcode 12.x

Does anyone know why this is happening or what this means?

Thanks in advance.
Alex Zavatone

Jim Adams

It means the tab isn't permanent. Double click the tab to make it stay. Otherwise it will get re-used the next time you open a tab.

One thing I have noticed is that many times a tab becomes unresponsive, meaning clicking on it does not switch me to that file. I have to close the tab and open it again.

On 11/12/20, 2:39 PM, "xcode@apple-dev.groups.io on behalf of Alex Zavatone via groups.io" <xcode@apple-dev.groups.io on behalf of zav=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

EXTERNAL

For the first time in my life, I have just seen text within the title of an Xcode editor tab that is italic in Xcode 12.x

Does anyone know why this is happening or what this means?

Thanks in advance.
Alex Zavatone

Jonathan Prescott

It’s part of the new Document Tabs functionality, if you want to read up on it. The old Tab system (now known as Window Tabs) is still there, and it can be useful using the two.
Jonathan