IOKit framework

Walter McCreary

I’m designing an iOS app that will communicate with a new hardware device (which is still being designed). We’re considering connectivity via USB, however I have not been able to find an IOKit framework in the IOS 10.2 SDK that I’m currently using under Xcode 8.2.1. The developer website claims that IOKit is available on iOS 2.0+ SDKs, so I’m wondering if it might have been removed, renamed, or requires some kind of additional download (or, might be available in newer SDKs). Failing any USB support, we could go with MultipeerConnectivity if necessary, however that’s a bit more cumbersome for the new hardware.

I’d appreciate hearing any insights you may have about IOKit framework availability in iOS, or any ideas for alternative connectivity.

-Walter

Alexander von Below

Hello Walter,

I may be totally wrong, but I do not believe you can communicate with any device on iOS using the IOKit framework.

To talk to external, non Bluetooth 4.0 devices — and I have done that — you should look at the „Made For iPhone“ program: https://developer.apple.com/programs/mfi/

If there are things I am not aware of, please let me know …

HTH,

Alex

Am 27.08.2018 um 11:07 schrieb Walter McCreary <walt@gigs.com>:

I’m designing an iOS app that will communicate with a new hardware device (which is still being designed). We’re considering connectivity via USB, however I have not been able to find an IOKit framework in the IOS 10.2 SDK that I’m currently using under Xcode 8.2.1. The developer website claims that IOKit is available on iOS 2.0+ SDKs, so I’m wondering if it might have been removed, renamed, or requires some kind of additional download (or, might be available in newer SDKs). Failing any USB support, we could go with MultipeerConnectivity if necessary, however that’s a bit more cumbersome for the new hardware.

I’d appreciate hearing any insights you may have about IOKit framework availability in iOS, or any ideas for alternative connectivity.

-Walter

Walter McCreary

Thanks, Alex. Ok, barring any other evidence, it looks like the info regarding iOS availability is in error on this page: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/iokit?language=objc

I did look at the MFi Program page, and am wondering if I’ll need to apply for a separate membership as MFi developer, or if my current Apple Developer membership might suffice. Do you know anything about that? I have emailed the question to MFi, but so far have not received a response from them.

Walter

On Aug 27, 2018, at 12:24, Alexander von Below via Groups.Io <below=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

yes, you need to apply for a separate membership for MFi. When we applied, that involved quite a tedious process, I am not sure if that changed.

Also, your devices must be MFi certified. You can’t just plug a USB device into an iOS device. MFi development will require a _lot_ more time than you likely anticipated.

Be aware that you can talk to Bluetooth 4.0 devices directly, without need for the MFi, and I am under the impression that Apple would much rather have everyone go that route.

HTH

Alex