If anyone likes to use option to copy a range of text, don't do it in Xcode and hit undo.

Alex Zavatone

You’ll get as many text insertion points as you have lines pasted.

It can screw up your code fast if you like to press things like keys on your keyboard, including Return or Enter.

Simply clicking outside your undo block can reset your 47 text insertion points.

Caveat emptor and away!

Ben Kennedy

On 10 Jun 2021, at 1:36 pm, Alex Zavatone via groups.io <zav=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

You’ll get as many text insertion points as you have lines pasted.

It can screw up your code fast if you like to press things like keys on your keyboard, including Return or Enter.

Simply clicking outside your undo block can reset your 47 text insertion points.
Pressing Escape works too.

This is a feature. It makes multi-line editing a breeze. I've taken advantage of it on several occasions.

-ben

Alex Zavatone

Even if you undo it? Why does it keep the multiple insertion points after you hit undo?

On 10 Jun 2021, at 2:58 pm, Alex Zavatone via groups.io <zav=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

Even if you undo it? Why does it keep the multiple insertion points after you hit undo?
I don't think copying or undoing has anything to do with this (certainly the notion of copy followed by undo doesn't make sense).

If you option-drag to select a multi-line range, and then immediately press a cursor (arrow) key, you'll have the plural cursors. An easy way to summon them when wanted.

-b

Alex Zavatone

Sorry, I meant an undo after a paste. There’s nothing stranger than getting stuck with 47 insertion points after you pasted in the wrong place, then did an undo and are left with 47 insertion points.

On Jun 10, 2021, at 5:06 PM, Ben Kennedy <ben-groups@zygoat.ca> wrote:

On 10 Jun 2021, at 2:58 pm, Alex Zavatone via groups.io <zav=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

Even if you undo it? Why does it keep the multiple insertion points after you hit undo?
I don't think copying or undoing has anything to do with this (certainly the notion of copy followed by undo doesn't make sense).

If you option-drag to select a multi-line range, and then immediately press a cursor (arrow) key, you'll have the plural cursors. An easy way to summon them when wanted.

-b

Rick Mann

BTW if you "paste and preserve formatting" it'll insert the block at the insertion point, rather than inserting each line a the corresponding point in the line below the current insertion point.

rmann@latencyzero.com