Topics

How to Add Controls in IB/XCode 11?

Dave

Hi,

I've just come to add some controls in a Storyboard file in XCode 11 and I see the Pane on the right no longer show the Controls that can be created and a Quick look over the Menus and IB I can’t find it!

Where has it been hidden?

Cheers
Dave

Bernie Maier

On Fri, 3 Jan 2020, at 9:57 PM, Dave wrote:
Hi,

I've just come to add some controls in a Storyboard file in XCode 11
and I see the Pane on the right no longer show the Controls that can be
created and a Quick look over the Menus and IB I can’t find it!

Where has it been hidden?
Hopefully someone will have a better answer because I’m not replying from my dev machine, but I think you are after what I can only describe as “the plus thingy”.

Cheers,
Bernie

Sak Wathanasin

On 3 Jan 2020, at 11:53, Bernie Maier <apple-dev@...> wrote:

Hopefully someone will have a better answer because I’m not replying from my dev machine, but I think you are after what I can only describe as “the plus thingy”.

That change started with Xcode 10. I think, though they used "{}" in XC10 instead of "+" as the icon. The tooltip still says "Library" if you hover over it. I find it a royal PITA that the window disappears as soon as you click somewhere else or drag an item to your view. They should at least give us the option of tearing it off as a floating panel - it's really annoying if you're laying out a new view. Is everyone at Apple using SwiftUI/code to design their views these days?

FYI, there is a "What's new in Xcode" item under Xcode's "Help" menu or if you're visually inclined, there's

Regards
Sak

Jonathan Prescott

Option-click on the library button will keep the pane around.
Jonathan

On Jan 3, 2020, at 10:47 AM, Sak Wathanasin <sw@...> wrote:

[...]

I’ve not found the “Library Button”, I’m using the Menu Item in the View Menu, which is inconvenient given XCode’s UI. Where is the button  “Library Button” located?

Cheers
Dave

On 3 Jan 2020, at 17:38, Jonathan Prescott via Groups.Io <jprescott12@...> wrote:

[...]

In the upper right hand corner, you’ll see a group of buttons.  One has a “+” sign, the next one has two opposing arrows, and then there are three controls to show/hide the sidebars and debug area.  The “+” button is the library button.  Option-click keeps it around.

Jonathan

On Jan 8, 2020, at 6:39 AM, Dave <dave@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks a lot, I was looking at the bottom of the window where it used to be.

One more question, if you have the Library displayed and you click the {} button, how do you then return to the object display? There are three buttons showing {}, Mountains and Color Palette, I can’t see a button to switch back to objects?

All the Best
Dave

On 8 Jan 2020, at 15:03, Jonathan Prescott via Groups.Io <jprescott12@...> wrote:

[...]

This is so annoying, I’m trying ti add controls to a Storyboard and I can’t find how to reset the “Library” window to the Controls view! Why isn’t there a “Controls/Objects/IB” button to switch back? I’ve tried quitting XCode to no avail, the “Snippets” display persists with no obvious way to switch it back!

I hate XCode!

All the Best
Dave

On 8 Jan 2020, at 15:36, Dave <dave@...> wrote:

[...]

Jim Adams

I have 4 icons across the top that switch things back and forth.

From: <xcode@apple-dev.groups.io> on behalf of "Dave via Groups.Io" <dave@...>
Date: Wednesday, January 8, 2020 at 9:44 AM
To: "xcode@apple-dev.groups.io" <xcode@apple-dev.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [xcode] How to Add Controls in IB/XCode 11?

EXTERNAL

[...]

There is help in Xcode: Xcode help -> Show Topics ->Create an interface using Interface Builder -> Add objects and Images

has a screenshot that shows you the different elements of the Xcode screen.

OK, I'm just as guilty when it comes to assuming that I "know" all about an app that I've been using for so long and not bothering to look at the online help.

This is so annoying, I’m trying ti add controls to a Storyboard and I can’t find how to reset the “Library” window to the Controls view! Why isn’t there a “Controls/Objects/IB” button to switch back? I’ve tried quitting XCode to no avail, the “Snippets” display persists with no obvious way to switch it back!

It's context-sensitive: try switching to an editor pane with a storyboard or XIB.

Regrdas
Sak

Dave

On 8 Jan 2020, at 16:39, Sak Wathanasin <sw@...> wrote:

I’ve not found the “Library Button”, I’m using the Menu Item in the View Menu, which is inconvenient given XCode’s UI. Where is the button  “Library Button” located?

There is help in Xcode: Xcode help -> Show Topics ->Create an interface using Interface Builder -> Add objects and Images

has a screenshot that shows you the different elements of the Xcode screen.

OK, I'm just as guilty when it comes to assuming that I "know" all about an app that I've been using for so long and not bothering to look at the online help.

True, but why did they change it? It worked fine before!

This is so annoying, I’m trying ti add controls to a Storyboard and I can’t find how to reset the “Library” window to the Controls view! Why isn’t there a “Controls/Objects/IB” button to switch back? I’ve tried quitting XCode to no avail, the “Snippets” display persists with no obvious way to switch it back!

It's context-sensitive: try switching to an editor pane with a storyboard or XIB.

That’s the secret! It seems a bit brain dead to be honest, why can’t I look at and get info on the available controls while I am in an Editor or other window?

But don’t get me started on the Window Handling in XCode!!!

Cheers
Dave