Files disappeared from Xcode UI

Rick Mann

I think a git merge went awry, but I'm not sure how. I can't find a couple files that I added to a project, but all the references to the files seem to exist in the XML (there are 6 instances of my missing file named in the XML, similar to 6 instances of a file that appears normally).

I can't figure out what got accidentally removed in the XML to make my files disappear from the GUI.

My files don't appear in the Files & Groups view, nor in the Compile Sources build phase, even though they appear in relevant sections in the XML.

Help!

Thanks.

--
Rick Mann
rmann@latencyzero.com

Alex Zavatone

Look back a few versions in the .xcodeproj file and compare in the assistant editor. I assume that’s what you’re doing.

Look back before the merge.

On Aug 23, 2018, at 6:39 PM, Rick Mann <rmann@latencyzero.com> wrote:

I think a git merge went awry, but I'm not sure how. I can't find a couple files that I added to a project, but all the references to the files seem to exist in the XML (there are 6 instances of my missing file named in the XML, similar to 6 instances of a file that appears normally).

I can't figure out what got accidentally removed in the XML to make my files disappear from the GUI.

My files don't appear in the Files & Groups view, nor in the Compile Sources build phase, even though they appear in relevant sections in the XML.

Help!

Thanks.

--
Rick Mann
rmann@latencyzero.com

Rick Mann

I've tried. There are no differences.

On Aug 23, 2018, at 16:50 , Alex Zavatone via Groups.Io <zav=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

Look back a few versions in the .xcodeproj file and compare in the assistant editor. I assume that’s what you’re doing.

Help!

Thanks.

--
Rick Mann
rmann@latencyzero.com

--
Rick Mann
rmann@latencyzero.com

Alex Zavatone

Do you have any filters on? Have you entered any search criteria that is filtering the File Navigator panel?

On Aug 23, 2018, at 6:55 PM, Rick Mann <rmann@latencyzero.com> wrote:

On Aug 23, 2018, at 16:50 , Alex Zavatone via Groups.Io <zav=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

Help!

Thanks.

--
Rick Mann
rmann@latencyzero.com

--
Rick Mann
rmann@latencyzero.com

Rick Mann

No filters. I was using the filter to try to find my files. They don't show up, filtered or not.

On Aug 23, 2018, at 16:57 , Alex Zavatone via Groups.Io <zav=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

Do you have any filters on? Have you entered any search criteria that is filtering the File Navigator panel?

On Aug 23, 2018, at 6:55 PM, Rick Mann <rmann@latencyzero.com> wrote:

Help!

Thanks.

--
Rick Mann
rmann@latencyzero.com

--
Rick Mann
rmann@latencyzero.com

--
Rick Mann
rmann@latencyzero.com

On Aug 23, 2018, at 4:39 PM, Rick Mann <rmann@latencyzero.com> wrote:

Weird! I don't think I've experienced that.
Just re-add the files to the project via the GUI, and all should be well.

—Jens

Ben Kennedy

On 24 Aug 2018, at 9:25 am, Jens Alfke <jens@mooseyard.com> wrote:

Moreover, re-add the files and then examine what change that creates in the pbxproj XML. That should indicate what you (presumably) missed when comparing the earlier diffs.

b

Alex Zavatone

I know this is frustrating, but at this point, I would have checked out a pre-merge copy to a test directory and compared the two with the Version Editor (sorry, I said Assistant Editor before).

If this happens once, I like to know why it could happen, so that if it happens again

If that fails, just do diffs on the entire project folders with the FileMerge tool. You can drag entire folders to the Left and Right boxes and it will diff the entire project. Hopefully, you can then see what happened.

GL.

On Aug 24, 2018, at 11:27 AM, Ben Kennedy <ben-groups@zygoat.ca> wrote:

On 24 Aug 2018, at 9:25 am, Jens Alfke <jens@mooseyard.com> wrote:

Moreover, re-add the files and then examine what change that creates in the pbxproj XML. That should indicate what you (presumably) missed when comparing the earlier diffs.

b