Files disappeared from Xcode UI


Rick Mann
 

I think a git merge went awry, but I'm not sure how. I can't find a couple files that I added to a project, but all the references to the files seem to exist in the XML (there are 6 instances of my missing file named in the XML, similar to 6 instances of a file that appears normally).

I can't figure out what got accidentally removed in the XML to make my files disappear from the GUI.

My files don't appear in the Files & Groups view, nor in the Compile Sources build phase, even though they appear in relevant sections in the XML.

Help!

Thanks.

--
Rick Mann
rmann@latencyzero.com


Alex Zavatone
 

Look back a few versions in the .xcodeproj file and compare in the assistant editor. I assume that’s what you’re doing.

Look back before the merge.

On Aug 23, 2018, at 6:39 PM, Rick Mann <rmann@latencyzero.com> wrote:

I think a git merge went awry, but I'm not sure how. I can't find a couple files that I added to a project, but all the references to the files seem to exist in the XML (there are 6 instances of my missing file named in the XML, similar to 6 instances of a file that appears normally).

I can't figure out what got accidentally removed in the XML to make my files disappear from the GUI.

My files don't appear in the Files & Groups view, nor in the Compile Sources build phase, even though they appear in relevant sections in the XML.

Help!

Thanks.

--
Rick Mann
rmann@latencyzero.com





Rick Mann
 

I've tried. There are no differences.

On Aug 23, 2018, at 16:50 , Alex Zavatone via Groups.Io <zav=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

Look back a few versions in the .xcodeproj file and compare in the assistant editor. I assume that’s what you’re doing.

Look back before the merge.

On Aug 23, 2018, at 6:39 PM, Rick Mann <rmann@latencyzero.com> wrote:

I think a git merge went awry, but I'm not sure how. I can't find a couple files that I added to a project, but all the references to the files seem to exist in the XML (there are 6 instances of my missing file named in the XML, similar to 6 instances of a file that appears normally).

I can't figure out what got accidentally removed in the XML to make my files disappear from the GUI.

My files don't appear in the Files & Groups view, nor in the Compile Sources build phase, even though they appear in relevant sections in the XML.

Help!

Thanks.

--
Rick Mann
rmann@latencyzero.com






--
Rick Mann
rmann@latencyzero.com


Alex Zavatone
 

Do you have any filters on? Have you entered any search criteria that is filtering the File Navigator panel?

On Aug 23, 2018, at 6:55 PM, Rick Mann <rmann@latencyzero.com> wrote:

I've tried. There are no differences.

On Aug 23, 2018, at 16:50 , Alex Zavatone via Groups.Io <zav=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

Look back a few versions in the .xcodeproj file and compare in the assistant editor. I assume that’s what you’re doing.

Look back before the merge.

On Aug 23, 2018, at 6:39 PM, Rick Mann <rmann@latencyzero.com> wrote:

I think a git merge went awry, but I'm not sure how. I can't find a couple files that I added to a project, but all the references to the files seem to exist in the XML (there are 6 instances of my missing file named in the XML, similar to 6 instances of a file that appears normally).

I can't figure out what got accidentally removed in the XML to make my files disappear from the GUI.

My files don't appear in the Files & Groups view, nor in the Compile Sources build phase, even though they appear in relevant sections in the XML.

Help!

Thanks.

--
Rick Mann
rmann@latencyzero.com







--
Rick Mann
rmann@latencyzero.com





Rick Mann
 

No filters. I was using the filter to try to find my files. They don't show up, filtered or not.

On Aug 23, 2018, at 16:57 , Alex Zavatone via Groups.Io <zav=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

Do you have any filters on? Have you entered any search criteria that is filtering the File Navigator panel?

On Aug 23, 2018, at 6:55 PM, Rick Mann <rmann@latencyzero.com> wrote:

I've tried. There are no differences.

On Aug 23, 2018, at 16:50 , Alex Zavatone via Groups.Io <zav=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

Look back a few versions in the .xcodeproj file and compare in the assistant editor. I assume that’s what you’re doing.

Look back before the merge.

On Aug 23, 2018, at 6:39 PM, Rick Mann <rmann@latencyzero.com> wrote:

I think a git merge went awry, but I'm not sure how. I can't find a couple files that I added to a project, but all the references to the files seem to exist in the XML (there are 6 instances of my missing file named in the XML, similar to 6 instances of a file that appears normally).

I can't figure out what got accidentally removed in the XML to make my files disappear from the GUI.

My files don't appear in the Files & Groups view, nor in the Compile Sources build phase, even though they appear in relevant sections in the XML.

Help!

Thanks.

--
Rick Mann
rmann@latencyzero.com







--
Rick Mann
rmann@latencyzero.com






--
Rick Mann
rmann@latencyzero.com


 

On Aug 23, 2018, at 4:39 PM, Rick Mann <rmann@latencyzero.com> wrote:

My files don't appear in the Files & Groups view, nor in the Compile Sources build phase, even though they appear in relevant sections in the XML.
Weird! I don't think I've experienced that.
Just re-add the files to the project via the GUI, and all should be well.

—Jens


Ben Kennedy
 

On 24 Aug 2018, at 9:25 am, Jens Alfke <jens@mooseyard.com> wrote:

Just re-add the files to the project via the GUI, and all should be well.
Moreover, re-add the files and then examine what change that creates in the pbxproj XML. That should indicate what you (presumably) missed when comparing the earlier diffs.

b


Alex Zavatone
 

I know this is frustrating, but at this point, I would have checked out a pre-merge copy to a test directory and compared the two with the Version Editor (sorry, I said Assistant Editor before).

If this happens once, I like to know why it could happen, so that if it happens again


If that fails, just do diffs on the entire project folders with the FileMerge tool. You can drag entire folders to the Left and Right boxes and it will diff the entire project. Hopefully, you can then see what happened.

GL.

On Aug 24, 2018, at 11:27 AM, Ben Kennedy <ben-groups@zygoat.ca> wrote:

On 24 Aug 2018, at 9:25 am, Jens Alfke <jens@mooseyard.com> wrote:

Just re-add the files to the project via the GUI, and all should be well.
Moreover, re-add the files and then examine what change that creates in the pbxproj XML. That should indicate what you (presumably) missed when comparing the earlier diffs.

b