Topics

Better Screen Pixel Viewer Tool?

Dave

Hi All,

Begin Moan

I needed a Screen Pixel Viewer and found “Pixie” in the Developer Tools, but trying to actually use it is very difficult because of the annoying way in switch it scrolls the Pixel View Window whenever you move the mouse! Whoever wrote the App obviously didn’t use it in vengeance as it has the WORST UI for the task you could think of. There are Lock Horizontal, Lock Vertical and Lock Image menu items, the menu items themselves are useless since the Image in the Pixie window changes as you move to the Menu Bar (so unless you want to look at the menu bar useless), however they have Command key equivalents, BUTif you lock Horizontal and Vertical, the Display stops updating when you move the Mouse, which is totally useless!

End Moan

Does anyone know of a Screen Pixel Viewer that has a decent UI? I wrote one years ago (pre MacOS X) which was aimed at Developers and had a UI that was usable and features that were useful to a developer not just eye-candy. For instance, you could Option Click and it would set marker which would show the coordinates relative to this point as well as the absolute coordinates. Very useful for translating from Global to Local coordinates.

I can just about use Pixie but the simple task I need it for is taking way longer than it need.

All the Best
Dave

Jon Gotow

xScope is great - but not cheap.

https://xscopeapp.com/

- Jon

On Jan 8, 2020, at 3:26 AM, Dave <dave@...> wrote:

[...]

Yes, it looks great but too pricey! I think if I needed all the bells and whistles that XScope has it would be good value for money but I just need it for a very simple task that I can do by taking a screen dump and looking at the image file in an Image Editor for free!

I seem to remember that an old Version of the App did exactly what I want, seems like they changed it when Apple became Scroll-Happy.

Cheers
Dave