Archiving my mac app makes an almost-empty archive

James Walker

I have a macOS application project that uses a private framework built by a dependent target in a sub-project. When I try to archive it with Xcode 10.2.1, there is no error message, but the archive shows up under "Other Items" rather than "macOS Apps" in the Organizer. If I open up the archive package, the "Products" folder is empty, though the "dSYMs" folder has two items, one for the app and one for the framework.

I've looked at Tech Note TN2215 "Troubleshooting Application Archiving in Xcode" but didn't find a solution there.

Another oddity I noticed, which may or may not be related, is that the framework doesn't get an Info.plist added to it.

James Walker

On 5/15/19 4:47 PM, James Walker wrote:
I have a macOS application project that uses a private framework built by a dependent target in a sub-project.  When I try to archive it with Xcode 10.2.1, there is no error message, but the archive shows up under "Other Items" rather than "macOS Apps" in the Organizer.  If I open up the archive package, the "Products" folder is empty, though the "dSYMs" folder has two items, one for the app and one for the framework.
I've looked at Tech Note TN2215 "Troubleshooting Application Archiving in Xcode" but didn't find a solution there.
Another oddity I noticed, which may or may not be related, is that the framework doesn't get an Info.plist added to it.

Oops, never mind about that last Info.plist thing. I forgot that in a framework, it's buried down in Versions/A/Resources.

James Walker

On 5/15/19 4:47 PM, James Walker wrote:
I have a macOS application project that uses a private framework built by a dependent target in a sub-project.  When I try to archive it with Xcode 10.2.1, there is no error message, but the archive shows up under "Other Items" rather than "macOS Apps" in the Organizer.  If I open up the archive package, the "Products" folder is empty, though the "dSYMs" folder has two items, one for the app and one for the framework.
It turns out the trick was to set SKIP_INSTALL=YES on the framework, but SKIP_INSTALL=NO in the application project. The other 3 combinations of these flags produce an archive that's bad in various ways.

Alex Zavatone

What happens if you try the same procedure on another Mac?

I ran into major archive and upload issues yesterday but on the iOS side in Xcode 10.2.1. Maybe this is the season for these issues.

On May 17, 2019, at 7:02 AM, Alex Zavatone via Groups.Io <zav=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

I haven’t tried the whole thing, but the part about setting “skip install” at the app level preventing a good archive is easy to reproduce, and I sent Apple a bug report about it.