Another Odd Question

Charles Phillips

All -

I asked a question here last month and got a lot of good answers, so here goes again.

I have two Macs (a 2011 MacBook Pro and a 2012 Mac Mini) and recently decided that I had better update them as much as possible before it was too late. So I updated the MacBook to High Sierra (with a patcher application since the MacOS High Sierra certificate had expired) and the Mac Mini to Mojave (also used a patcher there). The Mojave update was flawless, but now XCode still runs on the Mini but no longer runs on the MacBook. Grrrr. I always used XCode mostly on the MacBook and had my GitHub repositories updated from that computer.

Being lazy, I had never figured out how to get the Mac Mini connected so that I could push and pull from my GitHub repositories.

So now I am trying to see my repositories on GitHub from the Mac Mini, no joy.

I am trying to connect the version on XCode to an existing repository but the Add an existing remote refuses to cooperate.

I see the "Remote Name" and "Location" entries and have tried to put in the names of the repositories but the XCode does not connect. Should the Location be https://github.com/CharlesPhillipsHouston  (which is what shows up in GitHub)???

And the Remote Name should be the name of the repository?

I have tried a number of variations and have looked through the help.

Suggestions??

Charles Phillips
Houston, Texas

Alex Zavatone

If getting newer Macs is an option, I have a great reseller in TX that can get you more modern Macs (iMacs, MacBook Pros, Airs) at under $1000 per.  I’ve been using them for 4 years.

Please reply off list if that’s an option for you.

One other option is to install fresh OSes to external SSDs and run your tests from there on each Mac.  Upgrade as necessary and test booting each Mac off of different versions of the SSD.  I’d use 2.  Mirror one to the other and then upgrade one.  Try ti on both.  If it works, mirror back to the other SSD.  Stop the upgrade when one fails.

Slightly older Macs from 2020 are fine at least 5 years back.  I’m typing this on a mid 2015 MBP.  As soon as you boot your Mac off of an SSD, it’s a different world.

If it’s in your budget, I’d look at upgrading you Macs to newer used Macs.

Good luck

On Feb 27, 2020, at 8:43 PM, Charles Phillips <phillipstriples@...> wrote:

[...]

Jonathan Prescott

Jonathan Prescott
(919) 884-6451

On Feb 27, 2020, at 9:43 PM, Charles Phillips <phillipstriples@...> wrote:

[...]

Sak Wathanasin

On 28 Feb 2020, at 02:43, Charles Phillips <phillipstriples@...> wrote:

I see the "Remote Name" and "Location" entries and have tried to put in the names of the repositories but the XCode does not connect. Should the Location be https://github.com/CharlesPhillipsHouston  (which is what shows up in GitHub)???

And the Remote Name should be the name of the repository?

I think so, at least that's what the Xcode help for "Add existing remote" implies. However, you first need to add your Github account to Xcode under Preferences->Accounts.

The easiest way I found to copy Xcode-related stuff from one Mac to another is to simply copy the entire source folder tree over - embedded in it is a ".git" directory that contains all the info that (the git client in) Xcode needs, apart from account info. If you also copy over the ".gitXXXX" files & folders from your home directory (they are hidden by the Finder, so I use the Terminal), you will pick up your global Git settings.

When we replaced our MacMini build boxes, I simply used the "Migration Assistant" to copy the entire home directory over, and that included all the Xcode settings, passwords in the keychain etc. So Xcode just picked up where it'd left off.

Regards
Sak Wathanasin
Network Analysis Limited           http://www.network-analysis.ltd.uk

Quincey Morris

On Feb 27, 2020, at 18:43 , Charles Phillips <phillipstriples@...> wrote:

I am trying to connect the version on XCode to an existing repository but the Add an existing remote refuses to cooperate.

I see the "Remote Name" and "Location" entries and have tried to put in the names of the repositories but the XCode does not connect.

It’s a bit hard to tell from your brief description, but that’s not how it works. A remote is a reference in an existing repository to another copy of the same repository. If you already have a local copy of the repository on your Mac Mini, then adding another remote is probably not the right thing to do — it likely already has the remote reference.

Ideally, assuming that you pushed all your changes from the MacBook to GitHub, then you should just discard whatever you have locally on the Mac Mini and clone a new copy of the repository there:

— Go to GitHub, click on the “Clone or Download” button, and copy the git URL that’s shown there. (Don’t actually download anything.)

— Then in Xcode, go to Source Control -> Clone, and paste the git URL.

— Complete the cloning process over the next couple of dialogs, then you should be good to go.

If you have modified files locally that you never pushed to GitHub, the easiest approach is to set them aside, follow the regular clone procedure (above), then replace files that need updating from the copies you kept.

It really shouldn’t be any harder than that, unless for some reason your local or remote repositories are broken and need to be recovered. I suspect that’s not the case.

Charles Phillips

Quincey and Sak had exactly the right answers! Quincey's solution worked and now that I see what Sak does - that should solve the problem with XCode on the MacBook!!! Not only did I get my code building again but I learned a lot about XCode and Github and the interaction.

Thanks!!

Charles