Topics

Adding App Groups without Team Account?

Alexander von Below

Hello,

I have a mobile provisioning profile and a developer certificate for a certain team (let’s call it Team ABC), but I am not a member of that team (i.e., in Xcode accounts, I am not logged in as a member of that team).

When I want to add a container in the App Groups capability, Xcode tells me I don’t have an account to do that.

Is it correct that I must have an active developer account for Team ABC in order to add a container in App Groups?

Thanks

Alex

Fritz Anderson

TL;DR: Not without endorsement (team membership) from an organizational member of the Apple Developer Program, or is an ADP member in one's own right; either of which is the sole owner of the app in question. I don't understand why the former should be a problem for you, nor what good the latter would do you in this case.

---

The Apple Developer Program site is a twisty maze of little passages, all alike, so I can't dig up a precise citation to Apple's documentation within a reasonable amount of time. However, the answer should be obvious:

Apple won't let you broaden an app's entitlements without authorization (team membership) from the owner. If you mean to create a new entitlement and attach it to the app — which would void the profile you now possess — you'd need access to Certificates, Identifiers & Profiles. And why should you need that, when someone on ABC obviously created the profile you possess already?

Even if you had the new profile in hand, you still have to demonstrate that you haven't simply stolen it, but are answerable to a business entity substantial enough to have banking relationships and a credit history. To act as a proven member of the ABC team, you need the organization to assign you a specific role on that team that grants you access to Certificates, Identifiers, & Profiles.

https://help.apple.com/app-store-connect/#/deve5f9a89d7

---

I don't see why this should be a burden to you. Organizations can invite team members without paid memberships of their own. If you have an existing registration (member or not), you can attach the invitation to that; otherwise, register (accept the terms & conditions) for free.

Invitation dance:
https://help.apple.com/developer-account/#/dev3e8818774

Once that's done, the organizational account holder can grant you the necessary authority (role):

    — F