Problems with exporting an archived app

Giacomo Tufano

About Xcode caches and various files, I can recommend DevCleaner (for free on the Mac Store, I’m not affiliated in any way, I’m just an happy user). It makes easier to remove files than manually look into ~/Library/Developer (and gives you an idea of how much space the actions will free)

Il giorno 11 feb 2021, alle ore 19:27, Alex Zavatone via groups.io <zav@...> ha scritto:

As an Xcode developer, our drives get filled up way too easily.  You can look in several places for several GB to recover.

For example, checking the ~/Library/Developer folder on this Mac shows that I’ve got 64 GB used in that folder.
33.23GB for the Xcode folder
30.67GB for the CoreSimulator folder

Within the ~/Library/Develope/Xcode folder, the big eaters of space are in iOS DeviceSupport  from all OSes from 9.1 to 14.3 with 30 GB used.  Check yours and see what can be thinned out.

John Brownie

Hi Alex,

That's all helpful stuff. I had a look and there was a little I could remove, but not a huge amount, after the delete/reinstall dance with Xcode yesterday. I use Grand Perspective to see where the big files are, and that showed me some modest gains.

My problem is that I have a seven year old MBP with only a 500GB internal drive, and developing Mac software is only part of my job. The main part of job also requires me to have a bunch of things that occupy a lot of disk space. Of course, I could move my music library off the internal drive, but I do like to listen to music when I'm working!

I'm not partial to needing to have an external drive always plugged in. My job requires me (in normal times!) to travel internationally, often working in odd places where a minimal amount of hardware is an advantage.

My hope is that Apple will bring out a new MacBook Pro 15"or 16" this year, and I can get one of those, with a larger internal drive, which will make life much easier. Given the current state of things with virtualisation on Apple Silicon, my current MBP may be the one to host the Windows and Linux VMs I need for different tasks, so spreading the data over two machines.

John

Alex Zavatone via groups.io wrote on 11/2/21 20:27:

I'm always pressed for space on my computer, so I don't have enough spare space to have both versions installed. If this persists, I may have to work out what I can move to an external disk and have both available.
John, may I recommend several things to help you with computer space.

https://ingmarstein.github.io/Monolingual/

This app lets you remove language translations from apps for languages that you will never use. It’s generally good for a few GB.

As an Xcode developer, our drives get filled up way too easily. You can look in several places for several GB to recover.

For example, checking the ~/Library/Developer folder on this Mac shows that I’ve got 64 GB used in that folder.
33.23GB for the Xcode folder
30.67GB for the CoreSimulator folder

Within the ~/Library/Develope/Xcode folder, the big eaters of space are in iOS DeviceSupport from all OSes from 9.1 to 14.3 with 30 GB used. Check yours and see what can be thinned out.

There’s also a lovely trick that you can do if you have a fast external drive. Move your user folder to the external. This can also help with R/W performance as all reads & writes may be going through a separate bus than your system and apps. From the System Preferences, select Users & Groups. Click the lock to unlock and enter your password. Pressing control, click on your user name and select Advanced Options and then next to Home directory: click the Choose… button and select a folder on your external. All of your user data will be migrated to the external drive.

In the past I did this to test out moving my entire user folder to a RAM drive for nearly instant builds on iOS.

https://vimeo.com/172822499

You should also right click on Xcode and select Show Package Contents. View the directory as list, press command J and make sure to select Calculate all Sizes and then sort by Size in descending order.
/Contents/Developer/Platforms will be the largest folder.
Mine is 14GB
Look at all the platforms you never develop for and delete them.

MacOS also isn’t perfect. Look in /Library/Updates and see how large that folder is. Delete the contents if there is anything there you don’t need. I just found almost 2 GB of .pkg files sitting in there from 10.12.6.

Looking in /Library I just found another 700 MB for an old defunct install of MacOS Server from 2016 that I no longer need.

You can also do a quick check for duplicates or large files by performing a command F in the Finder, clicking + and searching for File Size that is > 1 GB. I’ve just found 3 copies of the same 80 GB sparseimage that can be nuked as well as a bunch of old 40 GB VMs.

I hope this helps. If you want, you can email me off list and I can give you a few more details if you wish to let me know which Mac you’re currently using. I’ve taken a few older MacBooks and added large internal SSDs without blowing the heat profile out of the water. Apple’s well on the way to making that impossible these days.

--
John Brownie
Kouvola, Finland

John Brownie

James Walker wrote on 12/2/21 01:11:
If you mean the “review zip content” page, I’ve been getting a blank for that for a while. I sent Apple a bug report, but couldn’t tell them how to reproduce it, so it will probably go into the bug black hole.
Yes, that's the one. I sent a bug report along with the archive that exhibits the bug, so hopefully it will move along!

John
--
John Brownie
Kouvola, Finland

James Walker

On Feb 11, 2021, at 8:15 AM, John Brownie <john_brownie@sil.org> wrote:

OK, more weirdness. It now works in Xcode 12, but the summary before export is blank, and yet I get a valid export. I guess the back and forth has removed some bad cached data or preference, and it's more or less working.
If you mean the “review zip content” page, I’ve been getting a blank for that for a while. I sent Apple a bug report, but couldn’t tell them how to reproduce it, so it will probably go into the bug black hole.

Alex Zavatone

[...]

Glenn L. Austin wrote on 11/2/21 17:03:
Yes, M1 requires Xcode 12.
I got it to work by archiving in Xcode 12, then doing the distribute from Xcode 11.
I haven't done any QL plugins, but it's entirely possible that there's a bug in Xcode 12 where it's not recognizing the "older" QL structure.
Seems to be something like that.
I've got several versions of Xcode on my machine, and have never had to do the uninstall/reinstall dance - I either "xcode-select" the one I need if I'm going to working with it for a longer period of time, or if I'm just doing a couple of command-line processes, I "export DEVELOPER_DIR=" to the Xcode path. The "xcode-install" gem helps a lot with that as well.
I'm always pressed for space on my computer, so I don't have enough spare space to have both versions installed. If this persists, I may have to work out what I can move to an external disk and have both available.

John
--
John Brownie
Kouvola, Finland

Steve Mills

On Feb 11, 2021, at 09:04, Glenn L. Austin <glenn@austinsoft.com> wrote:

I haven't done any QL plugins, but it's entirely possible that there's a bug in Xcode 12 where it's not recognizing the "older" QL structure.
Hmm, I wonder if that’s what’s causing my Xcode to crash when I submit a build to the App Store, only it has a Spotlight plugin, not a QL plugin. The crash log shows its trying to access an NSURL while building the package to upload (I assume), but it’s nil. I reported it, since it shouldn’t just crash, and it worked in previous Xcode, and other projects without plugins worked just the other day.

Steve via iPad

Glenn L. Austin

Yes, M1 requires Xcode 12.

I haven't done any QL plugins, but it's entirely possible that there's a bug in Xcode 12 where it's not recognizing the "older" QL structure.

I've got several versions of Xcode on my machine, and have never had to do the uninstall/reinstall dance - I either "xcode-select" the one I need if I'm going to working with it for a longer period of time, or if I'm just doing a couple of command-line processes, I "export DEVELOPER_DIR=" to the Xcode path. The "xcode-install" gem helps a lot with that as well.

--
Glenn L. Austin, Computer Wizard and Race Car Driver         <><
<http://www.austinsoft.com>

On Feb 11, 2021, at 4:16 AM, John Brownie <john_brownie@...> wrote:

Stuck in a very time-consuming loop here. I removed Xcode 12, rebooted, installed Xcode 11.6, and the process doesn't complain in the same way for the older archive builds. But the new project was created with Xcode 12, so the project file is too new for Xcode 11.6, so I have to remove 11.6, reinstall 12.4, open the project and save it in an appropriate folder, then remove 12.4 again, install 11.6, and then I should be able to manage it... Limited disk space on my one machine makes it all rather a pain.

A horrible thought comes now: does Apple Silicon compatibility require Xcode 12? If so, I might have to try the archive in 12.4, then the export for distribution on 11.6. If that doesn't work, I don't know where to go next, other than perhaps dropping the QL generator.

John

Alex Zavatone via groups.io wrote on 10/2/21 19:39:
I keep old installers of Xcode around for just this reason.

Can you open this in an older version to see if it will successfully code sign?

On Feb 10, 2021, at 11:28 AM, John Brownie <john_brownie@...> wrote:

This gets weirder. I fixed the location of the QL plugin (should be Contents/Library/QuickLook, not Plugins), but it still failed with the same message. So I then got one of the older archived versions from the Organizer, and I get the same error message! Same with checking out an older version.

So that makes me think that it is either a newer version of macOS or Xcode that's doing it. I moved to Big Sur last week, and Xcode 12 quite some time ago, but this is probably the first time I'm aiming to do a release since moving to Xcode 12.

Any further ideas? All I can think of at the moment is that QuickLook plugins were changed in 10.15, and I only have the older technology at present. Does Big Sur require that I have both old and new?

John

Alex Zavatone via groups.io wrote on 10/2/21 16:24:
Somehow it thinks that the path to the app’s bundle is nil.  It’s a little hard to tell if it’s trying to find the target app name, or the folder for it (the bundle).

By any chance, did you delete a setting value while you were making your changes?  Can you check out a previous version of your app’s code to a different folder and do a diff on the project folders?  That should show you differences between the two and help narrow down your error.

You can also do that and only diff your .xcprroj file and that should show you the difference between what worked and what now fails to help you find the problem.

On Feb 10, 2021, at 5:37 AM, John Brownie <john_brownie@...> wrote:

I've got a current version of my app out there, and want to do a bug release. Due to my own error, I changed the main repository to a sandboxed version, so I had to create a new project to build the current release, and this may be a consequence of not setting things up correctly.

Anyway, I successfully archived the app, but then I want to export it as a Developer ID app, and I get a fail with this error message (slightly redacted):

Failed to generate distribution items with error: Error Domain=IDEFoundationErrorDomain Code=1 "Didn't find executable for bundle NSBundle <(null)> (not yet loaded) at path <DVTFilePath:0x7fbf681b52c0:'/Users/john/Library/Developer/Xcode/Archives/2021-02-10/appname 10-2-21, 11.54.xcarchive/Products/Applications/appname.app/Contents/PlugIns/appname Quick Look Generator.qlgenerator'>."

Doing a web search for the error turns up either nothing at all (if I include up to "path") or nothing of use that I could see. The Quick Look Generator does exist at the specified path as a bundle which is pretty standard, of the form:
Contents
   __CodeSignature
      CodeResources
   MacOS
      appname Quick Look Generator
   Resources
      appnameQLResources.plist
   info.plist

I don't know where to look to find where the NSBundle <(null)> might be coming from. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
John
--
John Brownie