table view controlers and data populating


Taylor Arndt
 

Hi,
So i have a app and i am new at things with swift and all that but i
have created a table view and i am trying to get it to display data
from an array i used the methods for frow in index path and all those
methods but i can't get the data to show up in the cell i have created
in the table view controler.

--
Taylor


 

Table views can definitely be tricky at first. But first, two things:

  • Questions about using frameworks like UIKit and AppKit are best posted on the ‘cocoa’ list. Following tradition, the ‘xcode’ list is about the Xcode IDE / compiler / tools themselves. Sorry if this sounds control-freaky, but in the past both lists have gotten busy and this helps to keep things focused.
  • When asking a Cocoa question make sure it’s clear what platform you’re asking about: from your post I can’t tell whether you’re making a Mac or iOS app, and table views work differently on each platform.

So could you repost on the cocoa list and put either UITableView or NSTableView in the subject? Thanks from your neighborhood control freak ;)

—Jens


Taylor Arndt
 

Thanks, I really don't know what I'm doing it like I said and I am doing iOS app development. I will post to the other group next time, but like I said I really don't know what I'm doing and very new at this whole deal

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 7, 2017, at 1:25 PM, Jens Alfke <jens@...> wrote:

Table views can definitely be tricky at first. But first, two things:

  • Questions about using frameworks like UIKit and AppKit are best posted on the ‘cocoa’ list. Following tradition, the ‘xcode’ list is about the Xcode IDE / compiler / tools themselves. Sorry if this sounds control-freaky, but in the past both lists have gotten busy and this helps to keep things focused.
  • When asking a Cocoa question make sure it’s clear what platform you’re asking about: from your post I can’t tell whether you’re making a Mac or iOS app, and table views work differently on each platform.

So could you repost on the cocoa list and put either UITableView or NSTableView in the subject? Thanks from your neighborhood control freak ;)

—Jens


Quincey Morris
 

On Jun 7, 2017, at 12:25 , Taylor Arndt <taylorarndt99@...> wrote:

I really don't know what I'm doing it like I said and I am doing iOS app development.

You’re not going to get a good answer here, because table views are very flexible, and have a long conceptual history. No one can be specific without kinda being “right there” looking over your shoulder. All we can do is a bit of hand-waving.

Instead, I recommend you study this document:


Even though it’s years old, it explains the basic concepts. You should literally work through the document from beginning to end. For things that you don’t need (for example, custom section headers and footers, maybe) you should still read at least once, so that the ideas can take hold, even if you have to look them up again later.

The other thing you should do is to study some sample apps. Not so much a big “table view everything demo” app, but something that uses a table view in a straightforward way. That gives a reference point for what to put where, and a place to try changing things.


bartramf@...
 

Just wanted to thank Jens for making the effort to set these group up.




--
-- 
Frederick "Rick" Bartram
bartramf@acm.org ( bartramf@acm.org )
PGP key id: 0x4193BED2  key server: http://pgp.mit.edu


Peter Hudson
 

If you want the answer to this - and many other questions on iOS dev, I suggest you lack at Paul Hudsons books on. www.hackingwithswift.com

You will save yourself a lot of time. 

Peter

On 7 Jun 2017, at 21:35, Quincey Morris <quinceymorris@...> wrote:

On Jun 7, 2017, at 12:25 , Taylor Arndt <taylorarndt99@...> wrote:

I really don't know what I'm doing it like I said and I am doing iOS app development.

You’re not going to get a good answer here, because table views are very flexible, and have a long conceptual history. No one can be specific without kinda being “right there” looking over your shoulder. All we can do is a bit of hand-waving.

Instead, I recommend you study this document:


Even though it’s years old, it explains the basic concepts. You should literally work through the document from beginning to end. For things that you don’t need (for example, custom section headers and footers, maybe) you should still read at least once, so that the ideas can take hold, even if you have to look them up again later.

The other thing you should do is to study some sample apps. Not so much a big “table view everything demo” app, but something that uses a table view in a straightforward way. That gives a reference point for what to put where, and a place to try changing things.


Taylor Arndt
 

Thanks all, and I am actually learning some things. So I'm hoping to have my first App released by the end of the summer, as I will be 18.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 7, 2017, at 4:42 PM, Peter Hudson <Peter.hudson@...> wrote:

If you want the answer to this - and many other questions on iOS dev, I suggest you lack at Paul Hudsons books on. www.hackingwithswift.com

You will save yourself a lot of time. 

Peter

On 7 Jun 2017, at 21:35, Quincey Morris <quinceymorris@...> wrote:

On Jun 7, 2017, at 12:25 , Taylor Arndt <taylorarndt99@...> wrote:

I really don't know what I'm doing it like I said and I am doing iOS app development.

You’re not going to get a good answer here, because table views are very flexible, and have a long conceptual history. No one can be specific without kinda being “right there” looking over your shoulder. All we can do is a bit of hand-waving.

Instead, I recommend you study this document:


Even though it’s years old, it explains the basic concepts. You should literally work through the document from beginning to end. For things that you don’t need (for example, custom section headers and footers, maybe) you should still read at least once, so that the ideas can take hold, even if you have to look them up again later.

The other thing you should do is to study some sample apps. Not so much a big “table view everything demo” app, but something that uses a table view in a straightforward way. That gives a reference point for what to put where, and a place to try changing things.