Re: Xcode 8.3.3 will archive and export, but 9.0.x won't export

Owen Hartnett

On Oct 26, 2017, at 6:13 AM, Sak Wathanasin <sw@network-analysis.ltd.uk> wrote:

On 25 Oct 2017, at 22:11, Owen Hartnett <owen@clipboardinc.com> wrote:

Building an enterprise app. I can archive the code with Xcode 8.3.3 and export my enterprise app. It does the right code signing.

On 9.0.x Xcode, it will archive, but even though I have automatic signing turned on, it asks me for a profile. None of these are the automatic profiles (which begin with XC). I can tell it to download one of the XC profiles, but then it says it can’t use it, because I have automatic signing on! If I turn automatic signing off, and try to select the XC profiles, it says I can’t select them because they are automatic profiles!

Any suggestions?
Does the account you use have the privs you need to create a prov. profile from the distribution certificate? I think you need to be a team agent or admin. Our distribution cert expired a month or so back and it took me much hair-pulling to get our CI build box to work again. As I remember it, I had to get a grown-up to regenerate all the profiles that were linked to the expired cert, then I ended up deleting all the profiles on the build box and making XC download them again.

Be that as it may, if you dig into the build logs, you should see lines like this:

-[IDEDistributionLogging _createLoggingBundleAtPath:]: Created bundle at path '/var/folders/50/w9h_mj9n3vb_54kfll2kb79r0000gn/T/xxxx_2017-09-14_00-35-43.865.xcdistributionlogs'.

** EXPORT FAILED **

If you then look into that log folder, you can get additional info as to why it failed.

Sak
Thanks for the reply, Sak. The distribution certs and profiles are all current, and the build logs never get to the point where anything is recorded on this. It only displays invalid profiles, and doesn’t display the valid ones.

To keep us going, we changed over to manual signing for all our apps. This is a chore as each target has 4 profiles: app, watch app, watch extension, decryption extension. All I can say is that automatic signing is irretrievably broken in Xcode 9.0.x. Tough for me, as I was the one who pushed for it “to save time” maintaining all the multiple profiles, only to waste time tracking this thing down.

-Owen