Re: Do we really need "if((self = [super init]))" in Objective-C anymore?

Alex Zavatone

On Aug 17, 2017, at 1:49 PM, Quincey Morris <quinceymorris@...> wrote:

On Aug 17, 2017, at 11:29 , Alex Zavatone <zav@...> wrote:

It’s like someone from the Marketing department wrote the rules to Obj-C’s return value agreement.

Wut???

A guarantee is a monetary bond paid on a broken contract. There’s no money in a promise. That takes it out of the marketing department and puts it squarely in the legal department, and my lawyer can beat your lawyer in a fist-fight. I guarantee it.

Well, it seems like someone was playing fast and sleazy with terms - something I often equate with Marketing departments.

While we have docs that say things like “it’s a promise that is made between these two objects” (or something to that effect), we are not shown cases where that promise is broken, so in our minds over the years of programming, a promise becomes equated with a guarantee.

While we know in the backs of our heads that promises can be broken, when we don’t see the cases where that can happen, the promise is always true from our observations.

Does that make more sense?

- Alex Zavatone