measuring Metal FPS

James Walker

When running a macOS app rendering with Metal under the Xcode 12 debugger, the debug navigator displays FPS (frame rate) among other things. But if I launch the program outside Xcode and attach to the process, the debug navigator does not show FPS, though it does show memory usage and such. What's up with that? I tried changing the Run mode of the scheme to use the Release build instead of the the Debug build, but then rendering was quite noticeably slower. Is there some quick way to get a frame rate? I'm aware that Instruments can measure various things relating to Metal, but it's not obvious to me how to see something as simple as a frame rate.