Re: Problems with exporting an archived app

Glenn L. Austin

Yes, M1 requires Xcode 12.

I haven't done any QL plugins, but it's entirely possible that there's a bug in Xcode 12 where it's not recognizing the "older" QL structure.

I've got several versions of Xcode on my machine, and have never had to do the uninstall/reinstall dance - I either "xcode-select" the one I need if I'm going to working with it for a longer period of time, or if I'm just doing a couple of command-line processes, I "export DEVELOPER_DIR=" to the Xcode path. The "xcode-install" gem helps a lot with that as well.

--
Glenn L. Austin, Computer Wizard and Race Car Driver         <><
<http://www.austinsoft.com>

On Feb 11, 2021, at 4:16 AM, John Brownie <john_brownie@...> wrote:

Stuck in a very time-consuming loop here. I removed Xcode 12, rebooted, installed Xcode 11.6, and the process doesn't complain in the same way for the older archive builds. But the new project was created with Xcode 12, so the project file is too new for Xcode 11.6, so I have to remove 11.6, reinstall 12.4, open the project and save it in an appropriate folder, then remove 12.4 again, install 11.6, and then I should be able to manage it... Limited disk space on my one machine makes it all rather a pain.

A horrible thought comes now: does Apple Silicon compatibility require Xcode 12? If so, I might have to try the archive in 12.4, then the export for distribution on 11.6. If that doesn't work, I don't know where to go next, other than perhaps dropping the QL generator.

John

Alex Zavatone via groups.io wrote on 10/2/21 19:39:
I keep old installers of Xcode around for just this reason.

Can you open this in an older version to see if it will successfully code sign?

On Feb 10, 2021, at 11:28 AM, John Brownie <john_brownie@...> wrote:

This gets weirder. I fixed the location of the QL plugin (should be Contents/Library/QuickLook, not Plugins), but it still failed with the same message. So I then got one of the older archived versions from the Organizer, and I get the same error message! Same with checking out an older version.

So that makes me think that it is either a newer version of macOS or Xcode that's doing it. I moved to Big Sur last week, and Xcode 12 quite some time ago, but this is probably the first time I'm aiming to do a release since moving to Xcode 12.

Any further ideas? All I can think of at the moment is that QuickLook plugins were changed in 10.15, and I only have the older technology at present. Does Big Sur require that I have both old and new?

John

Alex Zavatone via groups.io wrote on 10/2/21 16:24:
Somehow it thinks that the path to the app’s bundle is nil.  It’s a little hard to tell if it’s trying to find the target app name, or the folder for it (the bundle).

By any chance, did you delete a setting value while you were making your changes?  Can you check out a previous version of your app’s code to a different folder and do a diff on the project folders?  That should show you differences between the two and help narrow down your error.

You can also do that and only diff your .xcprroj file and that should show you the difference between what worked and what now fails to help you find the problem.

On Feb 10, 2021, at 5:37 AM, John Brownie <john_brownie@...> wrote:

I've got a current version of my app out there, and want to do a bug release. Due to my own error, I changed the main repository to a sandboxed version, so I had to create a new project to build the current release, and this may be a consequence of not setting things up correctly.

Anyway, I successfully archived the app, but then I want to export it as a Developer ID app, and I get a fail with this error message (slightly redacted):

Failed to generate distribution items with error: Error Domain=IDEFoundationErrorDomain Code=1 "Didn't find executable for bundle NSBundle <(null)> (not yet loaded) at path <DVTFilePath:0x7fbf681b52c0:'/Users/john/Library/Developer/Xcode/Archives/2021-02-10/appname 10-2-21, 11.54.xcarchive/Products/Applications/appname.app/Contents/PlugIns/appname Quick Look Generator.qlgenerator'>."

Doing a web search for the error turns up either nothing at all (if I include up to "path") or nothing of use that I could see. The Quick Look Generator does exist at the specified path as a bundle which is pretty standard, of the form:
Contents
   __CodeSignature
      CodeResources
   MacOS
      appname Quick Look Generator
   Resources
      appnameQLResources.plist
   info.plist

I don't know where to look to find where the NSBundle <(null)> might be coming from. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
John
--
John Brownie