Re: Can't see variable values in breakpoints

Alex Zavatone

I guess what I’m not making clear is that this recurses and displays all the string values for the properties in your object.  Maybe I’m not using the preview properly, but I’ve always felt like I’m waiting for the overlay to appear and show the contents or I have to expand the object, find the property, expand that and then mouseover it when simply doing a po on the containing object with autoDescribe is much faster.

On Jan 28, 2021, at 1:31 PM, Jens Alfke <jens@...> wrote:

On Jan 28, 2021, at 9:20 AM, Alex Zavatone via groups.io <zav@...> wrote:

It is.  When you use my little tool, you’ll see that it’s MUCH faster to simply type
po [myObject autoDescribe]
than it is to wait for the hover preview to show anything except an image.  Trrrry it.

I did. It isn't. The hover shows up in something like ¼ second. (If the value is a struct and I have to flip it open, that's maybe another ½ second.) I'm a fast typist, but it would take me a couple seconds to type that LLDB command.

(I'm testing this in C++ code, but Obj-C shouldn't be much different.)

I do use `p` if I'm already focused on the LLDB console with my hands on the keyboard.

As original Mac UI guru Bruce Tognazzini discovered back in the 1980s, our brain overestimates the time taken to interact with a UI element with a mouse, and underestimates the time taken to remember-and-type a command. He hypothesized this is because typing requires information retrieval, which keeps the brain busier than the low-level motor task of moving the mouse. (Tognazzini was measuring how long it took to choose a Mac menu command with the mouse vs. typing a command-key. He found that in most cases the mouse was significantly faster, but the person doing the task insisted that the command-key was faster, despite what the clock said. The exceptions were, IIRC, the common commands like Cmd-C that we've all memorized and hardwired into our motor cortexes.)