Re: Can't see variable values in breakpoints

Alex Zavatone

I’ve got the console set to appear automatically.

The floating window never showed me what I needed and it was always a delay before it showed anything.  If if did what I needed, then I would have abandoned autoDescribe years ago.

How is the command complicated?  It’s po followed by the object and the method. It’s 3 words.  Once it’s set up in your .pch, it works as an extension to every NSObject.

No, I’m not overriding anything.  This is an extension to NSObject adding a new method.  That’s it.

Use it or don’t.  I’m just letting people know it exists.

On Jan 28, 2021, at 12:55 PM, Steve Mills via groups.io <sjmills@...> wrote:

On Jan 28, 2021, at 11:30, Alex Zavatone via groups.io <zav@...> wrote:

It is.  When you use my little tool, you’ll see that it’s MUCH faster to simply type
po [myObject autoDescribe]

or

po myObject.autoDescribe

No, it is NOT much faster to activate the console pane and type a complicated command than it is to hover over a variable in the source pane. Yes, po can show you much different info, depending on whether or not you’ve added your autoDescribe thingy or if you’ve simply overridden the description method in your classes. But it is not faster.

Steve via iPad