Re: Multiple versions of an app

Jack Brindle

There are several ways to do this. I don’t think you want to build eight separate Mac apps - it would require eight Notarization passes, which, at 5 to 10 minutes per pass, will take an hour or more just for the build.

Instead, I would find a way to consolidate the functions into a single app, with separate UIs for each function. That way the app is built once, run once, removed once, etc., making it much easier on the user.

Now, if you really want eight individual apps, create a single parent-app that contains the individual apps, launching them as needed (NSTask will do the job quite well). You might even be able to use a single embedded app, passing in command line arguments to customize the operation of each one. As for the preferences, there is no requirement that the system handle the app’s preferences. You can certainly create your own settings facility that saves the data to a file (located in ~/Library/preferences). Again, the command-line argument can tell the app which settings file to use.

This sounds like a fun little project (key word is little), similar to several I have created over the years. Making multiple target applications can be and usually is a pain, but proper application design will take a situation of this sort and make it much more elegant.

Good luck!
Jack

On Dec 16, 2020, at 11:43 AM, Carl Hoefs <newslists@autonomy.caltech.edu> wrote:

Xcode 11.3.1 / macOS 10.14.6

I've written a small macOS app that performs user-configurable statistics over the course of days. It works fine, but I need to be able to run 8 such identical apps simultaneously. Each app needs its own unique bundle identifier (for settings/defaults, window placement, etc).

How can I use Xcode to produce 8 simultaneously runnable versions of my app? Or would it be more expedient to simply twiddle the Info.plist of copies of the app?