Re: Accessing instance variables: Xcode warnings

Chris Hanson

On Dec 11, 2020, at 11:02 AM, Carl Hoefs <newslists@...> wrote:

I have an ObjC class that has an instance variable "property" declared as such:

@property (nonatomic,retain,nonnull) NSString *mType;

This is not an instance variable, this is a property. In Objective-C, like Smalltalk, an instance variable is usually part of the internal implementation of your class. That's why as of Objective-C 2.0 and the new runtime, they can (and should) be declared in the @implementation instead fo the @interface.

(I'd also not name a property something like "mType," but give it a more semantic name.)

In a instance method of this class, I can refer to mType in various ways, with warnings:

mType "Instance variable 'mType' is being directly accessed"

This will be the name of the instance variable providing storage for the property if your `@implementation` has `@synthesize mType;`.

_mType "Use of undeclared identifier '_mType'; did you mean 'mType'?"

This will be the name of the instance variable providing storage for the property if you either have no `@synthesize` for it, or if you have `@synthesize mType = _mtype;` in your `@implementation`.

self.mType (No warning, but is very slow if used in a loop. Needed for blocks)

This is interacting with the property via its accessors, not accessing its storage.

Q1: "Direct" access to an instance variable bypasses its setter/getter methods, but otherwise what is wrong with it?

It all depends what you want. Often in the implementation of a class you know what the invariants you need to maintain are, so you can interact directly with the backing storage for a property. Note that this doesn't have to be an instance variable, that's just the default behavior.

Q2: Sometimes using the underscore form, _mType, quiets the direct access warning; other times Xcode acts like it doesn't know what I'm referring to. What is the underscore intended for?

See above.

Yes I can turn the Xcode warnings off by deleting -Weverything, but I want to do the right thing...

What's right will depend on both context and an understanding of the distinction between the property (an interface) and its underlying storage (an implementation). You can usually

  -- Chris