Re: Installer pkg built with Xcode 12.2 won't open in macOS 10.10 and 10.11

Jack Brindle

We are developing for non-App Store distribution. The app has a kext, which is being moved to a dext for Big Sur. The last big hurdle was getting the provisioning profile and entitlements right for Big Sur. The surprise was the need to add com.apple.application-identifier and com.apple.developer.team-identifier attributes to the entitlements file. These are automatically added by Xcode, but since we codesign externally, they were not in the file. They are now.

So, I am seeing it for pretty much all apps that need things that must be specified in a provisioning profile on the Mac. Primarily these are system extensions at the moment.

Jack

On Dec 8, 2020, at 11:58 AM, Sak Wathanasin <sw@...> wrote:

On 8 Dec 2020, at 17:39, Jack Brindle via groups.io <jackbrindle@...> wrote:

One other thing I have learned recently - for the first time, provisioning profiles are important on the Mac. All the things the iOS devs have gone through in learning how to handle them we will be going through over time. Gatekeeper has changed our world, and is much more stringent on Big Sur. Properly codesigning is the only way to tackle it.

Does this apply generally or just for AppStore apps?

Sak