Re: Installer pkg built with Xcode 12.2 won't open in macOS 10.10 and 10.11

Keary Suska

Supported encryption algorithms have nothing to do with hardware architecture. They are purely software. There is no reason that an M1 machine can’t generate a SHA-1 hash. Perhaps it was removed from the newer Xcode version? Or support for it was removed from underlying system support for the newer system? In any case, that would definitely call for an entry in the release notes. Searching them might tell you what OS/Xcode versions will generate a supported hash.

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.

On Dec 7, 2020, at 8:26 PM, Jon Gotow <gotow@stclairsoft.com> wrote:

Seriously? I have to keep an Intel machine around just to do release builds that will run on older macOS versions? Is there any chance of getting SHA-1 checksums added in the Apple Silicon version of codesign if we file bugs?

- Jon

On Dec 7, 2020, at 7:20 PM, Jack Brindle via groups.io <jackbrindle=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

That is the issue! Your post jogged my memory. The older versions of macOS need SHA1, but the Apple Silicon version of macOS doesn’t do SHA-1. Apple switched over to SHA-256 several years ago, maintaining both in the system. But, it looks like they didn’t maintain the SHA-1 for Apple Silicon systems. It may be very important to keep an Intel Mac around to handle builds for the foreseeable future.