moderated Re: Want a new sub-group? Reply here

On Jun 8, 2017, at 2:25 AM, Jeremy Hughes <moon.rabbit@...> wrote:

Those lists seem to be run by Apple - are they (especially swift-users) not also threatened by the mailing-list cull?
They’re run by the Swift open-source project, and they’re pretty high-priority as they’re the main way that people communicate, including the developers of Swift. Whereas lists.apple.com has been pretty much ignored by Apple for … at least five years? With periodic near-death experiences.

I’m confused about what is happening. As far as I know, the only list whose closure has been announced is xcode-users. Are Apple closing down all their mailing lists, or just xcode-users?
Only xcode-users as far as I know, but it wouldn’t make sense for them to close one list but not the others. It may just be that xcode-users is the only one where an Apple person decided to let the members know what’s going to happen.

Anyway, those lists have been on life support for years, and the listserv software they run is ancient. Groups.io has easily browsable archives, web forum access, wikis, calendars, and all the bells and whistles you could want. It seems like a much better home.

—Jens

Join main@apple-dev.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.