Note: groups.io will be down for maintenance this evening, starting at 11pm Pacific Time (6am Tuesday 8/3/2020 UTC), for up to two hours.
Revised: 2017-07-13 01:39 GMT-0500
This is a list of the key resources we have found useful. If you know of others, please post in a topic to the JXA group with a hashtag of
#wiki, and we will add to this list.
I have tried to order this list in the order that, to me, is best for learning JXA from scratch. We all learn a bit differently, so adjust to suit your style/needs. Please post if you have suggestions on learning JXA.
- I like starting with the videos in the Introduction.
- You won't be able to understand or remember everything the first time through, but it should help to give you the big picture, and maybe a few concepts.
- After you have read some of the other references, and played around with JXA for a while, you may find it worthwhile to view the video's again -- I picked up a lot more my second viewing.
- The same thing goes for the Apple Release Notes. These will be much more meaningful the 2nd or 3rd time you read them (at least it was for me)
- I am still learning JXA, just like you. So please feel free to post any suggestions/corrections that you may have.
- You must be running at least macOS Yosemite (10.10.3) to use JXA
- It is best to be running macOS El Capitan (10.11.6) or later, since a number of JXA bug fixes and enhancements were made.
- Video -- JXA Introduction by Sal Soghoian, post 2014 WWDC (~25 min), 2014-10-11
- Video -- 2014 WWDC session video on JXA. (can view ONLY in Safari), (~53 min), 2014-06-02
Official Apple Reference
- Mac Automation Scripting Guide -- AppleScript & JXA, 2016-06-13
- JXA Release Notes in Yosemite 10.10, 2014-10-17
- JXA Release Notes in El Capitan 10.11, 2015-09-16
- AppleScript Language Guide
- Although this guide provides examples in AppleScript, almost all of the concepts and commands also apply to JXA.
- Use this guide as needed to obtain more insight into Mac automation via scripting
- Scripting Reference Forms
- This is one section of the guide that applies fully to both AppleScript and JXA, just a difference in syntax.
- Debugging JXA with the Safari Web Inspector, 2015-09-16, OS X 10.11 Release Notes
- Video -- How to Debug JXA Scripts with Safari Debugger, 2016-06-20, YouTube Video by JMichaelTX.
- Debugging JXA Scripts with Safari Debugger, 2016-06-20, by JMichaelTX
- Extensibility and Automation Changes in OS X Yosemite, 2014-10-17, by Alex Guyot at macstories.net.
- A Beginners Guide to JXA (with Alfred examples), 2016-10-10, by Richard Guay at tutsplus.com.
- How to Install AppleScripts or JXA Scripts, 2016-02-13, by JMichaelTX.
Third Party Reference
- JXA Cookbook Wiki, Started 2014-10-28, by Thai Pangsakulyanont (dtinth) and others.
Using JXA with Objective-C and Cocoa
- Objective-C Bridging with AppleScript & JXA, 2016-03-21
- Using Objective-C with JXA (JXAObjC), 2015-09-16
- Using Objective C (ObjC) with JXA (JXA Cookbook), 2017-06-24
User Forums with Topics on JXA
- JXA Sub-Group of the Apple-Dev Group
- Keyboard Maestro Topics Tagged with JXA
- Stackoverflow.com Questions Tagged with JXA