Devmate: what are people using when it disappears?

Graham Cox

Is anyone out there using Devmate as a means of handling licensing in their Mac apps?

If so, you’ll know it’s deprecated as of December, and so far Fastspring, who bought out Devmate, appear not to have any real alternative.

So if this is you, what are you planning to do about it? I’d like to get some sort of discussion going so that the various alternatives are laid out and a clear forward path becomes more obvious. At the moment I’m totally unclear what to do. Fastspring say “contact us” if we are affected by this, but having done so, they never reply. Very poor.

—Graham

Leo

I was in a similar situation last year - albeit not with DevMate: had to find an alternative to eSellerate.

After a lengthy research and comparison of whatever licensing platforms I could find, I switched to SoftwareKey.com.

To me they offered the best pricing model with all features I needed.

Their customer support is also excellent.

Since, unlike me, you're using FastSpring for e-commerce, your transition should be even easier as SoftwareKey already has some kind of established integration with FastSpring.

One detail: I had a major requirement to any licensing platform: to provide a personal online license portal for the users. That is, a place where users can login at any time to manage their activations without having to contact me at all. This portal was also a major reason why I chose SoftwareKey.

If you don't have such a requirement, you may have a wider range of platforms to choose from.

In any case, switching to a different licensing platform is a major ordeal. If you have any questions let me know.

Leo