Selectable text in NSTableView?

I’ve got a view-based NSTableView that uses NSTextFields. I’d like to be able to select text in some of the columns, mostly so it can be copied to the pasteboard.

If I set the “selectable” property of the NSTextField, nothing happens.
If I set the “editable” property, I can select text … but the text field immediately becomes editable when the row is clicked to select it (i.e. its background changes to white and a focus ring is drawn around it.)

I’d prefer to have the field become editable on a second click, after selecting the row. But I can’t think of a clean way of doing this without a bunch of gnarly AppKit subclassing and method-overriding. Any suggestions?

—Jens

PS: This is *MAC OS*, not iOS.