Re: Drawer window error

Bill Cheeseman

On Jul 17, 2017, at 8:13 PM, Graham Cox <graham@...> wrote:

I can’t see that I’m doing anything wrong - the hosting window (parent) does have -initialFirstResponder set to an outline view IN ITS OWN WINDOW. The drawer part has nothing to do with it - I’m not even making the drawer part myself, it has no existence within the nib, I only provide its content view.

Is it reasonable to suggest this is an Apple bug? I understand Drawers are a thing of the past, so maybe Apple doesn’t bother testing them properly, but for now I don’t have time to revise my design, so a drawer it is.

If you Google this enough, you'll find several threads reporting this error message in macOS Sierra 10.12 over the last year or so, including one from me. The conclusion of the discussion, including my personal conclusion, is that this is a harmless message and can be ignored. Someone reported that the message is gone in High Sierra, but I haven't yet verified that myself.

My main app will continue to use drawers for the first little while into High Sierra, for the same reason you give. I am in the process of rewriting it in Swift and will take that opportunity to completely redesign the UI.

--

Bill Cheeseman - wjcheeseman@...