Re: Custom UTIs based on com.apple.package don't always work

Steve Mills

On Mar 14, 2019, at 01:03:16, Quincey Morris <quinceymorris@...> wrote:

Well, this is kind of wrong. CFBundleTypeExtensions and LSTypeIsPackage should not be specified in the document type when you’re using an exported UTI.
Where is it documented that it's wrong? I don't think it's actually wrong. iMovie, for example, has com.apple.iMovieEvent declared both as an exported UTI and as a document type. Besides, it *does* work when the app is in /Applications.

I don’t really recall their presence actively messing things up, but I suggest you get rid of them. AFAICT, the most complete and accurate documentation is this:

https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/General/Reference/InfoPlistKeyReference/Articles/CoreFoundationKeys.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40009249-101685-TPXREF107

and you have to read Table 2 carefully to see what doesn’t apply any more (i.e. since 10.5!).
Yes, deprecated keys don't actually mess things up though when newer ones take precedence.

When I sync and run it on mac 10.14 Mac …
What does “sync” mean in this context? Is Xcode running on the 10.14 Mac, or is it running on a 10.13 Mac? Are you doing some kind of command line copy to move the bundle between Macs?
Sync my source from the repo. Some might only know the phrase "pull my changes from the server" if they haven't used SCMs other than svn or git. Having cut my teeth on Perforce and used it for the first 15 years of my career, I'll probably never stop using the term "sync" for this.

--
Steve Mills
Drummer, Mac geek