Re: How to get App Icon

Gerriet M. Denkmann

On 30 Aug 2018, at 12:13, Quincey Morris <quinceymorris@rivergatesoftware.com> wrote:

On Aug 29, 2018, at 20:47 , Gerriet M. Denkmann <g@mdenkmann.de> wrote:

There must be a simple answer (which becomes immediately obvious once known) to this.
If you want to get the actual app icon, I think the simplest way is to get the URL for your app bundle,
I failed to find this. Probably missed something obvious.

But I stumbled upon:

NSRunningApplication *currentApplication = NSRunningApplication.currentApplication;
NSImage *myAppImage = currentApplication.icon;

Which is exactly what I needed.

then get the URL resource key for the icon (https://developer.apple.com/documentation/foundation/urlresourcekey/1414697-effectiveiconkey).

There’s also a NSWorkspace method to get the icon for a file.

And — I’ve never tried — you may be able to use NSDataAsset to peek into the asset catalog directly.
Also tried this (and failed miserably):

All these just return nil:
//NSDataAsset *ass = [[ NSDataAsset alloc] initWithName: @"AppIcon" ]; // nil
//NSDataAsset *ass = [[ NSDataAsset alloc] initWithName: @"Assets" ]; // nil
//NSDataAsset *ass = [[ NSDataAsset alloc] initWithName: @"Assets.xcassets" ]; // nil
//NSDataAsset *ass = [[ NSDataAsset alloc] initWithName: @"Assets" bundle: NSBundle.mainBundle]; // nil
//NSDataAsset *ass = [[ NSDataAsset alloc] initWithName: @"Assets.xcassets" ]; // nil
//NSDataAsset *ass = [[ NSDataAsset alloc] initWithName: @“AppIcon" bundle: NSBundle.mainBundle]; // nil

The last one writes the message:
[framework] CoreUI: attempting to lookup a named data 'AppIcon' with a type that is not a data type in the AssertCatalog

Then I gave up.

Kind regards,

Gerriet.

Join cocoa@apple-dev.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.