Re: Internationalisation of MainMenu

Gerriet M. Denkmann

On 30 Mar 2018, at 05:06, Gary L. Wade <garywade@desisoftsystems.com> wrote:

https://developer.apple.com/download/more/?name=Glossaries
Thanks a lot for this link!

Looking at the German stuff, I see that for example “Print…” gets translated:
29 times: "Drucken …" NO-BREAK SPACE; HORIZONTAL ELLIPSIS
56 times: “Drucken …" HORIZONTAL ELLIPSIS

What is right: SPACE or NO-BREAK SPACE ? Does this make any difference?

Another problem is missing context in MainMenu.strings:

“Cut” would have certainly a quite different translation in:

Edit
Cut
Paste

Hairdressing
Cut
Perm

But the only context given is:
/* Class = "NSMenuItem"; title = "Cut"; ObjectID = "uRl-iY-unG"; */

But I guess nothing can be done to get this needed context into MainMenu.strings.

Kind regards

Gerriet.

--
Gary L. Wade
http://www.garywade.com/

On Mar 29, 2018, at 2:43 PM, Quincey Morris <quinceymorris@rivergatesoftware.com> wrote:

On Mar 28, 2018, at 22:46 , Gerriet M. Denkmann <g@mdenkmann.de> wrote:

Is there a way to get this official translation?
It seems like there ought to be, but I don’t think there is.

I would assume that menu items that get added to your app at runtime (e.g. the ones at the bottom of the Edit menu) will be localized for you. It’s also documented somewhere that the words “Undo” and “Redo” are automatically localized when you supply undo action names.

Other than that, you’re probably on your own.