Re: Add overflow indicator to text

Quincey Morris

On Nov 9, 2017, at 09:41 , Steve Mills <sjmills@...> wrote:

drawing something in a new layer at the overflow location

In text layout apps that I’ve used, which can flow text through multiple containers, there’s typically a small box outside the top-left and bottom-right corners of the container frame. The boxes contain some indicator if the container is linked to another preceding or following container, and if the last container is overset, the bottom-right box typically shows a red plus sign, which you can click on to go into an add-new-container mode.

Given all that, I think drawing an overflow icon over the bottom corner would be a familiar choice. If you draw an ellipsis in a capsule, you could put it just outside the frame, or float it centered over the frame edge.

Putting it inside the frame inline with the text doesn’t seem like a terrible idea, but it might be easier for the user to miss, and it leaves you open to subtle layout problems where the indicator doesn’t show at all.