Re: LInker errors where there were none before

Alex Zavatone

It sounds like the one of a few things might help.

Look in your "link to binaries” build section to see if any binaries are added twice, or are missing.

Also, check to see in the build file phases that you’re not adding the .m file twice under Compile Sources.

I’ve seen Xcode return an error like this, but really, it was that there were two attempts to build the file with the same methods and it said that it couldn’t link, not that the same file was included twice in the compile process.

I’d check that before attempting to reinstall Xcode 8.3.3.

FYI, since we don’t know if High Sierra is part of the problem or not, this is why I always install major OS and Xcode upgrades to a clone of my working OS, or in a VM which is a clone of my working OS.

I went through issues with High Sierra and MacOS Server for High Sierra a few weeks back that only became apparent a day or so after I did the upgrade and started working with it that the upgrade sucked and removed the nice Git hosting option from MacOS Server.

Now, I have a 25 GB VM image of 10.12.6, Xcode 9.0 and Server 5.3 that I can duplicate, start up the cloned VM, upgrade and rename, work with it and see if it’s worth moving forward with the upgrade without destabilizing my working environment.

If it sucks (it did) I can just throw the copy away, but I can keep the working image to duplicate again for the next set of upgrades.

Good luck.
Alex Zavatone

On Oct 24, 2017, at 6:22 PM, Graham Cox <graham@...> wrote:

I’m using 8.3.3 ;)

Yes, that was an update! Maybe I should try 9, but somehow an issue like this doesn’t quite seem like an Xcode problem.

—Graham

On 25 Oct 2017, at 9:30 am, Alex Zavatone <zav@...> wrote:

Which version of Xcode?

I haven’t had problems with Xcode 9.0, but 9.0.1 was released and some people are reporting various errors.

Are you using 9.0 or 9.0.1?

Join {cocoa@apple-dev.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.