Re: folder entitlements EPERM

Gerriet M. Denkmann

On 26 Jan 2021, at 08:28, Jack Brindle via groups.io <jackbrindle=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

Not just app store apps, on Catalina and especially Big Sur, all apps.

The suggestion is to have the user drag the app to the “Full Disk Access” panel of the Security & Privacy’s Privacy pane. Then you should be able to get anywhere you’d like.
Thanks a lot! This is the perfect solution for my app:

System Preferences → Security & Privacy → Privacy → Full Disk Access (bottom of left scroll view) → add or enable app in right scroll view.

Gerriet.

Jack

On Jan 25, 2021, at 3:36 PM, Jens Alfke <jens@mooseyard.com> wrote:

On Jan 25, 2021, at 9:12 AM, Gerriet M. Denkmann <gerriet@mdenkmann.de> wrote:

There are quite a few folders, which behave absolutely normal using the Finder, but when my App tries to do:
open(folderPath, O_RDONLY)
it gets an EPERM error: "Operation not permitted”.

When my App shows an OpenPanel (with this un-opened folder), and the user clicks ok, then the open() works just fine.
Isn't that just the normal behavior of the app sandbox? Sandboxed apps aren't allowed to access arbitrary areas of the filesystem, unless the user has implicitly given permission by navigating to a file/folder in an Open panel, or dropping a document, etc.

—Jens