Setting accessibility text for a table cell view

John Brownie

I'm new at accessibility, and have recently been supporting a blind user. One of the tables in my conveys information in shorthand by using colours and styles, which don't come across with VoiceOver. I'd like to be able to have VO read an alternate text when reading the cell. It's a basic view-based table, using NSTableCellView.

I searched and found an old solution involving subclassing NSTableCellView and overriding accessibilityAttributeValue, but that's deprecated.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/16193012/nstextfield-accessibility-how-to-provide-alternate-text-for-voiceover

If I set the accessibility title, I get the contents of the cell and my alternate text read, but I only want the alternate text to be read out. Do I need to subclass, and if so, what methods do I need to override? Or what other calls should I make to get only what I want read by VO?

Thanks for any pointers!

John
--
John Brownie