Topics

Is it me or is Finder scripting broken?

John Stewart
 

Can't get or set list, column or icon view properties:

tell
application id "com.apple.finder" -- Finder

get properties of Finder preferences

(* comment out next line to see all properties *)

get icon view options of result (* it's currently set to "snap to grid" but returns missing value *)

--get folders spring open of result (* this works, it's currently set to true *)

end tell

Robert Poland
 



On Nov 26, 2017, at 8:42 AM, John Stewart <psamech@...> wrote:

Can't get or set list, column or icon view properties:

tell
application id "com.apple.finder" -- Finder

get properties of Finder preferences

(* comment out next line to see all properties *)

get icon view options of result (* it's currently set to "snap to grid" but returns missing value *)

--get folders spring open of result (* this works, it's currently set to true *)

end tell


Maybe the following will be of some help;

tell application "Finder"
activate
if ((current view of window index 1) = list view) then
set wdw to window 1
select wdw -- in case the window was not selected
tell wdw to tell its list view options
set m to width of column id modification date column
set width of column id modification date column to m + 1
set m to width of column id modification date column
set s to width of column id size column
set width of column id size column to s + 1
set s to width of column id size column
end tell
end if
end tell

Robert Poland
Fort Collins, CO

John Stewart
 

Thanks Bob,

That works but doesn’t solve my problems. I’m looking at the desktop not just any random Finder window.  I have a script that cleans my desktop by moving file/icons around, it won’t work if the Desktop isn’t set to snap top grid.

JBS


On November 26, 2017 at 4:01:16 PM, Robert Poland (rpoland@...) wrote:

tell application "Finder"
activate
if ((current view of window index 1) = list view) then
set wdw to window 1
select wdw -- in case the window was not selected
tell wdw to tell its list view options
set m to width of column id modification date column
set width of column id modification date column to m + 1
set m to width of column id modification date column
set s to width of column id size column
set width of column id size column to s + 1
set s to width of column id size column
end tell
end if
end tell

Christopher Stone
 

On 11/26/2017, at 17:09, John Stewart <psamech@...> wrote:
I’m looking at the desktop not just any random Finder window.  I have a script that cleans my desktop by moving file/icons around, it won’t work if the Desktop isn’t set to snap top grid.


Hey John,

Try this:

----------------------------------------------------------------
# Auth: Christopher Stone
# dCre: 2017/11/26 19:40
# dMod: 2017/11/26 19:44
# Appl: Finder
# Task: Get Arrangement of Window of Desktop
# Libs: None
# Osax: None
# Tags: @ccstone, @Applescript, @Script, @Finder, @Arrangement, @Window, @Desktop
----------------------------------------------------------------

tell application "Finder"
    tell desktop
        tell its window
            if its current view = icon view then
                tell its icon view options
                    its arrangement
                end tell
            end if
        end tell
    end tell
end tell

----------------------------------------------------------------

--
Best Regards,
Chris

John Stewart
 

Thanks Chris, that’s mostly a winner, at least I can now get and set the property. Hopefully I can eventually get the Finder to respond to the changes. For now I’ll just abort the script and set the preference manually.

JBS


On November 26, 2017 at 8:46:19 PM, Christopher Stone (listmeister@...) wrote:

On 11/26/2017, at 17:09, John Stewart <psamech@...> wrote:
I’m looking at the desktop not just any random Finder window.  I have a script that cleans my desktop by moving file/icons around, it won’t work if the Desktop isn’t set to snap top grid.


Hey John,

Try this:

----------------------------------------------------------------
# Auth: Christopher Stone
# dCre: 2017/11/26 19:40
# dMod: 2017/11/26 19:44
# Appl: Finder
# Task: Get Arrangement of Window of Desktop
# Libs: None
# Osax: None
# Tags: @ccstone, @Applescript, @Script, @Finder, @Arrangement, @Window, @Desktop
----------------------------------------------------------------

tell application "Finder"
    tell desktop
        tell its window
            if its current view = icon view then
                tell its icon view options
                    its arrangement
                end tell
            end if
        end tell
    end tell
end tell

----------------------------------------------------------------

--
Best Regards,
Chris