Re: What is "system events" ?

2551phil

Note that you can do the same trick with any other app, too, not just System Events; i.e., see a live view of whatever app’s properties, classes, etc.

The live inspector view, along with the variables view and SD’s dictionary viewer, are really what make SD worthwhile for me. I rarely have need to actually step into the debugger itself thanks to these.

Best

Phil
@sqwarq

On 21 Oct 2017, at 03:58, JMichaelTX <JMichael@...> wrote:

Phil,

Thanks for posting this.  This is a huge tip!
For those that don't have SD6, or, like me, not sure what Phil is referring to, here's a screen shot of the lower Inspector Panel of SD6, after I have entered the simple script below:

<86B7B648-8F29-47A3-B65C-CC510BF7DBD6.png>

Here is another screenshot where I have expanded the "UI elements" list:

<2C57F2BE-98A6-4CB0-8697-D2C9411066FD.png>

Best Regards,

Jim Underwood
aka JMichaelTX

From: AppleScript-Users <applescript-users-bounces+jmichael=apoemail.us@...> on behalf of 2551phil <2551phil@...>
Date: Friday, October 20, 2017 at 12:44 PM
To: "applescript@apple-dev.groups.io" <applescript@apple-dev.groups.io>, "ASUL (AppleScript)" <applescript-users@...>
Subject: Re: [applescript] What is "system events" ?

tell application "System Events"
#~-- your code goes here...~#
end tell

is a common go-to I use, where I never fill in the ‘your code goes here’ part or even compile the script. I just leave the cursor on the first line within “System Events” and use SD’s live inspector to browse the goodies.