Re: Asking for Advice on distribution, please?

2551phil

On 21 Aug 2017, at 20:39, Brian Christmas <ozsanta@...> wrote:

14. It optionally uses the ftp Client ‘Interarchy’, to monitor folders on a remote Server, automatically downloads the folders after any items are added, and prints and stores them as for an email.

There’s no ftp in High Sierra, so you’ll have to rethink that. But

31. Mail Manager requires TextEdit, Interarchy (optional), GraphicConverter, Quark (optional), Acrobat, PitStop Pro (Optional), InDesign (optional), Illustrator, Word, Excel, and of course, Mail.

Good luck trying to sandbox an app and still get it to communicate with any or all of those. I believe there are temporary entitlements to allow some kinds of interapplication communication, but I’d be surprised if you could make that work within the confines of the App Store. You can’t even save to locations outside of your sandbox except a select few that you can add entitlements for, so you’d have to find a way around all that, too.

You’re going to need a website to give it a home page, deal with customer support, provide documentation etc. It’s a requirement for App Store submission, although from what I’ve seen they’re not particularly rigorous about enforcing it.

As for self-distribution, just throw it up on MacUpdate and similar sites, register with an e-Commerce vendor like FastSpring to handle all the payment processing, set up a simple website to give it a home page etc and away you go. It’s a lot simpler than dealing with sandboxing I can assure you, and you’re typically only paying < 10% commission, including overheads, instead of Apple’s 30%.

Best

Phil

Me on Twitter
@philofishal
@sqwarq

Me on the web:
sqwarq.com
applehelpwriter.com

Get DetectX - The mac troubleshooting app
http://sqwarq.com/detectx