Re: Trying to move away from Finder...

Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@...>

On Nov 2, 2017, at 9:40, Shane Stanley <sstanley@...> wrote:

On 2 Nov 2017, at 10:29 am, Christopher Stone <listmeister@...> wrote:

The thing to do is to use the best tool for the job

Defining best can be the issue, though. I suspect what most scripters really want is a single tool that may not be the fastest at everything, but is reliable, straight-forward to use, and fast enough.

I was going to write something like that but considering my "level" in AS it would have sounded more like a sad rant than anything else so I gave up.

But, yes, that's my feeling, plus the fact that there is very little application specific documentation. It's really hard to make an informed decision.

AppleScriptObjC offers the file manager, which is reliable and very fast -- but the learning curve is obviously substantial.

Honestly, anything is better than quirks and lack of documentation.

Anyway, the beginning of this discussion was about moving dialog calls outside of application tell blocks, I'll complete that first and then, I'll eventually check how to convert the file managing parts to ASOC.

Thank you all for your replies.

Jean-Christophe Helary
@brandelune http://mac4translators.blogspot.com